What happens Day of surgery

Beachgirl77
on 7/26/17 8:59 pm

I can't believe how fast 2 weeks has gone!! Tomorrow will be my last day of Optifast then it will be surgery day !!! Just wanted to know if there was anyone that wanted to share what happens the Day of surgery ? I am having my surgery at Humber and all I know is I have to be there 2 hrs before the surgery time .

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 7/27/17 5:42 am

I had my RNY at Humber March 3, 2017. You arrive and check in...then they will call your name and provide you with your 'bundle' which is basically two gowns, booties and a hair net and two blankets which you will use. Trust me, you will be freeeeeezing! Then you go to another waiting room and wait to get your IV inserted. Once inserted, you either go back to the waiting room or they keep you on the gurney where they inserted your IV. The Nurse will review with you basic questions ie: when did you last eat/drink, your pain tolerance and expectations etc. They will also give you pre-op pain meds to assist with the pain after. Then you get called for surgery! On the way they will weigh you as well. You walk into the room, lay on the table, get all hooked up then you feel a little sting in your arm and get an awful taste in your mouth as they administer the sedation and next thing you know you're in recovery.

You're there for what seems like forever. Then off to the unit for the night. Once you get to your room, they will give you some water and ice chips: Do not drink the whole med cup at once! I made that mistake and it hurt so bad because of the inflammation. Just SMALL teeny tiny sips. I got up as soon as I could and started walking the unit, even at 0400hr as I wanted to get the gas out of my system (which took about 5 days).

You will get breakfast the next morning, oatmeal and jello I believe. Oh and over night your vitals are assessed at regular intervals

Should all go well, you go home the next day! My surgery was a Friday so I had to come back for a f/u on Monday

Best of luck!!!!

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Beachgirl77
on 7/27/17 4:56 pm

Thanks for your reply :-) Ahh I'm so excited and nervous !! Having my last optifast as I type this . Can't believe tomorrow is the day !!!

Beachgirl77
on 7/27/17 5:07 pm

Did you bring anyone with you ? Just wondering what the waiting room is like for my hubby , when does he get to see after ? In the recovery room ? Or when I get to my room ?

leeann73
on 7/27/17 4:39 pm

My surgery was at Guelph. I had to have a pic line first. I arrived, for I to the gown and then went to get the pic line. I went back to my bed to wait and I had asked for an Ativan because I was so anxious. Best thing I ever did besides the surgery. Made me super calm. Once they were ready for me I had to walk into the operating room. I remember the anesthesiologist talking to me a bit, the doctor saying hello and then that was it. I have no recollection of the recovery room at all. I remember the nurse in my hospital room trying to get me up to go to the bathroom but I felt really dizzy so had a nice bed pan. I think I mostly slept. I remember telling my husband to go back to the hotel around 8pm and I slept a lot. My hubby says I was just really groggy. More alert by the next day and I walked often, sipped water a lot and had clear fluids. Surgery was Tuesday at 11 am and I went home Thursday afternoon.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Beachgirl77
on 7/27/17 5:01 pm

Thank you for your reply ! Can't believe the waiting time has come to an end . I'm just hoping that everything is smooth sailing tomorrow .

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/17 5:28 pm

Omg.. my heart is pounding so fast! Beachgirl .. so excitimg!

SweetRide1
on 7/27/17 7:27 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Good Luck tomorrow! I'm sure it will all go perfectly. Make sure to check in and let us know how you are doing.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 7/28/17 4:27 am

As I post this you are probably en route! The person you bring with you is able to sit with you each step of the way until you are taken to the OR. Once in recovery, they are there waiting for you to!

Humber also allows overnight guests, they have a pull out bed that can be used, so ask for it early!

Good luck today!!

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Most Active
Recent Topics