Day 4 Post-OP

SKT
on 9/19/17 5:19 am

Hi all - checking in with a post-op update. Surgery was on Friday at 2pm with Dr. Penner at TWH. It went great. I woke up feeling like I was on fire though drenched in sweat. The nurses packed me with ice to cool me down. That was very unexpected.

First night I had some pain but mostly felt like I was going to vomit out my insides. By Day 2 I was feeling much better and got off the drip. Did a whole lot of walking all around 9B and downstairs through the lobby.

My ride home on Sunday was about 1.5 hours and I felt tummy sick again but it was manageable.

Started full fluids yesterday and had a couple different protein drinks and some plain yogurt. I tried to make soup but it wasn't appealing at all.

Right now I am really trying to focus on fluids and protein. I am finding with the 30 minute no drinking before and after I am having a hard time getting the water in. Today I filled up my Swell bottle and have a goal of drinking the entire thing plus 2 protein water drinks (Nectar).

I have been surprised by how little pain I've had, it is more just sore. I was prepared for much worse so that is lucky. I have been sleeping well and overall feeling pretty comfy. Looking forward to my head feeling less swimmy and good solid stretch ;-)

oneatatime
on 9/19/17 6:01 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations on a successful surgery!

It sounds like you had a rough start but all is coming along well. :)

Because you're on fluids now, you do not have to wait 30 minutes to have a drink. The main focus should be on staying hydrated... so keep drinking. :)

Welcome to the loser's bench!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/17 6:20 am

Wow thanks for the details.. congrats on the recovery.. take care!

Tuktu
on 9/19/17 6:30 am
RNY on 03/07/17

So glad you are feeling better and are back at home! You are doing great

Kathy1212
on 9/19/17 8:25 am

Congrats on a successful surgery. Wow, sorry to hear about the rough start. Did you have a fever? Is that why they packed you in ice? I've never heard of that before.

Unless your surgery centre says differently, it should be OK to drink water and protein shakes without waiting 30 minutes in between as it's all fluids.

So glad you're not having a lot of pain.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

terrylynnishere
on 9/19/17 10:33 am

Hey SKT happy to hear your feeling better . I had a very similar experience waking up after surgery with excessive sweating and high blood pressure. I was drenched when I came to and stayed in recovery most of the day

It sounds like your recovering well. I wish I felt better but it will come

Best of luck to you in the future

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

leeann73
on 9/19/17 5:49 pm

Great start. When I went home the hospital rule was an ounce of fluid every 15 minutes. The no drinking before and after did not start until solids were introduced. Now the clinic rule is just 30 mins after. Best of luck for continued success and a good recovery

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics