Seeking info about surgery in Kingston

HorseLover63
on 4/25/18 6:58 pm

I have decided to look into bariatric surgery and my GP is making a referral to the program here. Does anyone have any info on what you have to go through, how long it takes to get started and to get the surgery, how long do you stay in hospital, which hospital (I read the surgery is at HDH but it's not inpatient anymore, I don't think), etc?

Also, how long do you have to drink OptiFast for? And is it covered by OHIP or ODSP? That is my biggest fear, being able to stick to that shake thing.

Thanks in advance.

Pikachu
on 4/25/18 8:05 pm

Hi, first off congrats on taking the first step. I'm not in Kingston but I can answer some things about the optifast (i'm currently on it). Opti is not covered by any insurance so it's paid out of pocket. I don't know if the prices are different everywhere but I'm in hamilton and 2 weeks worth cost me $184 in total ($46 a box, 2 boxes for each week). The amount of opti is unique to each person. They factor in everything from your tests and your weight and that's how the amount is determined. I got 2 weeks, which is pretty standard along with 3 weeks. Some get up to 5-6 weeks and some don't have to take any at all.

I won't lie the opti for me is the hardest part. The first 5 days were rough but I promise it gets so much easier after that. Your body adjusts to the opti and you feel much better. Anyways good luck in your journey

HorseLover63
on 4/25/18 8:17 pm

Thanks so much for the info, Pikachu. Is that all you can consume? No coffee, pop, veggies? Yeah, that is gonna be hard, but I guess I will keep my eye on the prize - namely, losing weight!

Pikachu
on 4/26/18 2:13 am

I am allowed 2 cups of veggies a day (the have a list of certain veggies) and 2 table spoons of low fat dressing. Also I can have 1 cup of broth a day, any amount of decaf coffee or tea with artificial sweeteners, and crystal light and Popsicles made from crystal light.

I personally drink my opti and after the 3rd opti I have 2 cups of chopped cucumbers with a bit of salt. That's been my routine for the past week and a half.

RosieBelly
on 4/25/18 9:15 pm

Hey HL63 - You have a little while before you hit Opti-Fats and I am not sure you will remember this by then but make it as cold as you can and gulp it down! Two reason for this - cold doesn't taste as bad while you are getting used to Opti and the gulping is a luxury you will not have after surgery so big gulps and slam those shakes down. It isn't that hard once the first couple of days have passed. Opti is not covered so start saving your pennies now! People do a few days to a few weeks, the docs will tell you closer to surgery how long you will be doing it for. I think most of the surgeries are still inpatient after all it is major surgery even though lots of us will tell you it was less of a big deal than we thought it would be. You are going to be taking some classes and evaluations before you get to surgery so start writing down all your questions and then start asking as soon as you have appointments. Stick with OH it is a great source of support and info. Welcome aboard!

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

RosieBelly
on 4/25/18 9:16 pm

that should be Opti-Fast..something Freudian this way cometh! lol

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

Murt65
on 4/26/18 4:03 am

Congrats HorseLover on starting this incredible journey.

OHIP and most benefits do not cover OPTI. I work in the OW/ ODSP system so I would advise you to submit a special diet request to your worker and see if they can cover it that way - assuming we are not basic income by then because that will not have any coverage. If not talk to your surgeon to find out if they have any other avenues to help with the cost. You could also mention it on this forum and any support groups you attend because I often here people say they have leftovers to give away.

St. Joes Hamilton - Referral June 16, Orientation Aug 16, Group Dietitian May 5, Nurse May 15, Social Worker Aug 15, 1:1 Dietitian Aug 15, Medical Internist Sept 18. Meet Surgeon Nov. 2/17 Preop Feb 12/18 Surgery Feb 16/18

KatieCJ
on 4/26/18 4:09 am

I was originally referred to the Medical Program instead of surgery, so it took longer. Once I switched to the surgery track, it was only a few months before Orientation.

After Orientation, I had surgery within 8 months.

The Kingston Bariatric Centre does surgeries at HDH, KGH, and in Toronto. It's the surgeon who picks the location, from what I've been told, the more complicated cases go to Toronto.

I had my surgery at HDH. The surgery was done in day surgery, but I stayed 2 nights.

The optifast is not covered by OHIP, I ended up having to do 4 weeks. While it's hard, you do get into a routine and it goes quickly.

• Surgery (RNY): February 27th 2018. HW: 350lbs SW: 318lbs CW: 141lbs
MichelleS61
on 4/26/18 7:04 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

What you're allowed to eat other than the Opti varies by program not sure what it is in Kingston but in Toronto we were not allowed and "solid" food at all, just broth, coffee, tea, crystal light etc. was hard but not so bad after first few days, not sure how long the program take in Kingston, but a year or less seems to be the going time line, I think you might have some luck looking for more local info on Facebook "Bariatric surgery RNY and Sleeve Kingston, Ontario" its a closed group so you have to ask to join, but I found a local one for my area and it's quite active.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Harpediem
on 4/26/18 8:53 am

I was sleeved on Kingston March 22. They do it st HDH and KGH. HDH does it and it's nicer because you probably have a private room and it's newer and nicer. I had mine at KGH cuz that's just how the scheduling went. I did get a room and bed with a view of the lake, which, to be honest, I wasn't too interested in at the time.

so I started July 2017, had the first orientation class on August , scheduled to see NP, social worker and dietitian on that day for September, had colonoscopy/endoscopy early December , met surgeon in January when I was scheduled for surgery. Do it moves along pretty well in Kingston, giving you enough time to get used to the idea and make the emotional and ha*****anges you need to make.

i found optifast not difficult at all. I was never hungry on it, in fact skipped one five times.

everyone is different. Some prefer cold some not. I mixed mine with decaf do it t the A's warm. Get half chocolate and half vanilla. There are sugar free flavourings you can get at that new store where Target was to mix in so it isn't boring . But it does teach you not to think about food as anything else than fuel.

if you have emotional issues around food now is a good time to find a therapy st. The work I did was invaluable.

i hope this answers your questions. By the way, I'm SO glad I did it- the surgery and the therapy. It's like having a monkey off my back.

Pauline

Most Active
Recent Topics