Overwhelmed

SKimster
on 4/26/18 8:16 am
VSG on 05/22/18

Hi Everyone...

So I've got my VSG surgery date as I said before for May 22nd. I just finished my dietician class and was very happy with it. I've got my pre-op visit for May 3rd. After my dietician class I was on FB and found a group for VSG. I thought it was a good group and I guess it is, but....there are so many people with issues for eating and such that it's really freaking me out and making me second guess my decision to go through with surgery. Some people are saying that they have never been able to eat healthy after surgery. This makes me really worry as I already have vitamin deficiencies and stomach issues. Other people are saying that they had huge issues with surgery or health issues after. The whole reason I'm doing this surgery is to get healthy. If I happen to finally get skinny than that would just be an added bonus. Anyway, any feedback. I almost feel like I'm at the panic stage and ready to back out. I don't think I actually would but I feel that feeling of 'flight'. I don't know how I'm going to handle the last couple of weeks before surgery. Am I doing the right thing? I know that's a personal decision...but any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

Harpediem
on 4/26/18 8:38 am

Before I found this site I found another where everyone was complaining about their surgery and postoperative weight gain. Made me think I was making a mistake. After I found this site I realized that of the hundreds and hundreds of of thousands of folks who have the surgery a small -very small percentage have problems, and of those folks, if you look closely , many are not using their tool properly. I've found there are some sites where these people congregate to complain. Long term complications after sleeve are pretty rare.

ill tell you a story. My daughter is a massage therapist and she tells me about a client who had bariatric surgery and comes in for massage, bringing her giant sized bags of potato chips with her. Her story is the surgery didn't work and she has deficiencies from it.

if you follow the rules, take the appropriate supplements and eat the right food you'll be gine. If you can't wait to heal so you can get back to KFC and macdonalds you won't be.

now is a good time to get on the right supplements and exercise as much as you can before surgery so you can heal as quickly and as well as you can.

Pauline

SKimster
on 4/26/18 9:01 am
VSG on 05/22/18

THANK YOU Pauline for your reply! Yes I was kind of noticing all of those things as well. I honestly don't know why anyone would go to have the surgery without careful consideration and action prior. KFC = diarrhea and MCD's = throwing up. GLAD I've never liked them or wanted them. I totally agree with the supplements as well. I've changed so many things already including starting the Prenatal Vitamins 2 months ago. I wanted to make sure that I will actually be able to be ok after the surgery knowing that I must take those types. AGAIN....thank you for the encouragement. I'm going to delete that FB group. I've got way more honest and straightforward answers here. Pretty much like going into the clinic and getting the exact same answers.

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

Harpediem
on 4/26/18 8:39 am

By the way food intolerances after sleeve are much more unlikely than after RNY .

Ginnny
on 4/26/18 9:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Exactly what Pauline said. Likely many of the people in the FB group left OH because they didn't like the honest, straightforward feedback they received here. Someone likely "hurt their feelings".

I am an RNY patient 2 years out and wouldn't change a thing.....Do you what you're supposed to and deal with what MAY come. Don't stress about the unknown, you can't change it.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

SKimster
on 4/26/18 9:52 am
VSG on 05/22/18

THANK YOU Ginny! I've just deleted the FB group...

Kimmy in Canada

SweetRide1
on 4/26/18 9:48 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Funny you should post this today. I cannot speak to VSG as I had RNY in January.

I went to have my bloodwork done this morning and I was asking the Tech if she had any others who came to this Lab that had bariatric surgery and she nodded in the affirmative. I asked her how they were doing and she told that the ones who were sticking to plan were fine. The ones that decided to go "awol" had nothing but troubles.

I was terribly worried after reading stuff on FB Groups before surgery. What a MISTAKE that was.

I can tell you that I stick to plan, have NEVER been nauseous, thrown u*****t been able to eat. There are a couple of things that don't really sit well but they probably aren't all that good for me in the long run so I just avoid them. I had a period where I was lactose intolerant but that has resolved.

I think the thing to remember is that this is a process. In the beginning it's not so much fun but it gets better and I have no trouble going to people's homes to eat or out to restaurants. I don't eat sugar and I don't eat crap. I do not feel deprived.

I feel great and wish I had done this years ago. NO REGRETS HERE!

BTW, you can find all those negative thoughts about ANY SURGERY on the internet. Before having a hysterectomy I was absolutely terrified as I had read all these horrible stories. Again - no troubles for me.

Be positive - stay away from those groups - stick to plan and you will do well. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

SKimster
on 4/26/18 11:48 am
VSG on 05/22/18

THANK YOU Sweetride! All these replies make me feel so much better. That website kept making me feel like I was going to fail. Funny how negative people can pull you down.......

Kimmy in Canada

corriev
on 4/26/18 9:53 am, edited 4/26/18 2:54 am
VSG on 03/06/18

I find a lot of info on the FB pages to be very wrong.. I know Im still learning and understanding how my body is coupling with this, but some info that is being shared on Facebook is just wrong in all aspects ( one case in particular was a chat that its ok to drink carbonated energy drinks), please dont think I'm judging. I am so glad we have people in this forum that offer sound advice.

SKimster
on 4/26/18 11:51 am
VSG on 05/22/18

That is sooooo true about bad advice. I saw people saying that they were going to drink alcohol, pop or someone actually said they were going to eat something bad 3 days after surgery. I was almost blown over. Why on earth someone would have this done just to keep doing things that would after surgery for sure hurt you is beyond me.

Kimmy in Canada

Most Active
Recent Topics