LUCIE

PENNYWISE60
on 1/3/08 2:19 am - Canada
I too go online waiting to read some new updates on Lucie....this is just too sad! Can someone please enlighten me on exactly what happed here? Was this a sudden thing or was it prolonged?
Penny  
DS Facts
on 1/3/08 2:56 am, edited 1/3/08 6:38 am
I had the same question so I read back. In Oct Lucie posted this... Hi everyone! I'm two weeks post op tomorrow and doing really well. I had to go to the ER this past Sunday because my incision had a small hole in it--no infection, so they added two small stitches which come out in 10 days. Apart from that I'm getting 24 oz. water (for now--I know more to come later) and trying the best that I can to get the protein supplement. I can't do the pre-made shakes--I bought some unflavored whey powder yesterday and am now looking in to getting some protein bullets....getting a variety so I don't gag after three days on a certain protein supplement. Anyone know how those are and are they easy to get down?

Thanks for your help everyone!!

In Nov Lucie posted this...
Started out 9 days ago when I had a lot of pain in the abdominal wall. I remember posting that I felt like I had been doing sit-ups all night long. Well after calling Julie (dr. L's office) I headed to the ER to get it checked out. They kept me overnight and the next day did a CT scan which showed no leaks and no obstruction, however my labs were all over the place....and showing an infection....but they didn't know where. They decided on Monday during the day to transfer me to the Ottawa Civic Hospital after speaking with Dr. L.

So Monday night I was transferred by ambulance to Ottawa where they re-checked the ct scan and put me on antibiotics and pain meds. The radiologist there could see an accumulation right underneath my nice healed incision. They kept me on antibiotics until this past Friday when they did an aspiration of two small pockets that were seen on ultrasound as containing infection. I was to be discharged, and right before leaving I sent my husband to have some supper and I took it easy in my hospital room. Supper came and the nurse notices that I'm all wet on my hospital gown.....a part of my incision had busted...literally!! Underneath (not seen on ultrasound) there was a lot of infection guck that came out and the surgeon had to open it up more (but I didn't feel a thing).....today Tuesday I was finally discharged and will have HomeCare nurse in everyday to pack the wound until it shuts. It is very deep....down to the fascia (sp??) right before the muscle wall. It will be months until it closes up....but my abdominal pain is gone!!

And that's the quick update on me. Dr. L has been great....calling my house to see what happened, what they are doing, what type of meds they are giving me. The thing that worried me is that for several days I was on clear liquids only because they didn't know if they would have to open me up again. I'm going to call the office tomorrow to reassure them that I'm back on my high protein diet & my vitamins...I just have like 7 meds added to this

Sorry so long, this is just a big ordeal in my life, but now I know why after 5 weeks out of surgery I still didn't feel like myself!!

Hugs!~*Lucie
PENNYWISE60
on 1/3/08 3:07 am - Canada
Hello Bev,
thanx sooooooooo much for letting me know what happened to this girl....This  weight loss site is awesome, everyone is just rallying around Lucie....she sounds like quite the fighter I just know she'll pull through this and have many stories to tell us all later! She has been heavy in my thoughts since reading this the other day....
Pen
Arlene J.
on 1/3/08 2:58 am, edited 1/3/08 2:58 am - Barrie, Canada
I am constantly checking the posts for up dates as well.... I am concerned and hopelfully today is a good day for Lucie... Positive thoughts is all I can offer... Here I wait. Arlene  Barrie
Janet Pratt
on 1/3/08 8:15 pm - Parry Sound, Canada
Thanks Penny for posting Lucies posts, to help us understand her complications a bit more.  My sympathies to her and the family.  (crying)  I had computer trouble and couldn't post until now.  So sad.  Janet
Lady8i8
on 1/5/08 9:06 am - Cardinal, Canada
Thank you so much for sharing Lucie's story with those of us who didn't have the fortune of getting to know her first hand.  I have wondered for a long while about people listed on the memorial wall wondering what happened to them, and if they passed from complications of from something completely unrelated. The messages I had been reading sounded pretty shocked by the news of her passing.  I am sorry she didn't get a better outcome.  Our hearts go out to Lucie's family, and to all of her friends.    RIP Lucie.
Meg1962
on 1/6/08 2:20 am - London, Canada
I haven't been online for several days, and am very sad to hear of Lucie's passing.  I didn't know Lucie, but I did lose a friend to obesity before Christmas.  His name was Norm Hacking, a Toronto singer-songwriter, and we'd known each other for about 25 years.  He was a very large man, and his heart finally gave out.  He died in his sleep on Sunday November 25th at the age of 57.  He is survived by his son Ben, and leaves behind a body of work that will be enjoyed and cherished by many for years to come.  Norm released at least 6 albums, and his music was covered by many musicians all over North America. This man wrote and performed some of the most achingly beautiful music I've ever heard, and was both mentor and advocate for new artists and aspiring musicians.  His strength of spirit and the warmth of his heart will not be forgotten, for they live on in his music, and in the memories of the many people whose lives he touched. I have no doubt that Lucie, in her own way, touched people's hearts throughout her life, and her absence will be keenly felt by many for a very long time.  My heart goes out to her family who, in their grief, must learn to live without this strong and loving person. Meg
Most Active
Recent Topics