Need Lunch Suggestions

jdruski
on 5/25/12 6:06 am - Philadelphia, PA
I will probably repost this next week as the boards might be dead over the weekend.

I am ready to really give this my all.  I have had so many head problems since before my knee surgery and I am working on them, but now I need to focus back on my weight.

I have no problem at home but when I am in work I find myself grazing. 

I need some ideas of what to take that will satisfy me. 

Any help is appreciated.

Jeanne
lynnc99
on 5/25/12 6:30 am
Jeanne, when was your surgery? Looks like you have been on the boards for a while.

I find (at almost 3 years out) that the key lies in planning. Sometimes I do better than others, for sure. But for work hours I have very defined times to eat so I pack my snacks and lunch accordingly. If for some reason I eat more food earlier in the day....that's it. When it's gone, it's gone.

It sounds like you may be able to eat at your desk or at "off" times thru the day which poses a different issue. Indeed, we can eat more empty calories if we graze, so this is something to watch out for. Does it help you to have a water bottle or beverage handy? That can help me to keep my oral fixation going, without upping the number of calories per day.

Also, be sure to focus on protein even for your snacks. Same old same old, I know ~ no magic to it.

And finally, a tip that I read on another board recently reminded me of this: The more we DECLINE the goodies and things we are better off not eating (even "healthy" foods at the wrong times, or when we have already had enough) - the easier it gets. Success begets success!

Hope this helps in some small way....
bvohl
on 5/25/12 9:09 pm
Jeanne,

I agree with what Lynn said. Planning is key, but that doesn't always happen. Things I like to take for lunch are spinach salad with chicken, cheese and some sliced almonds. I also love taking turkey breast with some laughing cow cheese and make turkey and cheese rolls. Packed with protein, calcium and low in fat and calories. If I know that my day will be busy or long I might add a greek yogurt or some string cheese.

Hope this helps

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Patricia R.
on 5/25/12 10:35 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Jeanne,
In addition to what has been said so far, I usually pack leftovers from dinner in a container, and microwave it at work, when I work.  Another meal I love is cottage cheese and fruit.  As for snacks, the suggestions made are great.  I also like roast beef and swiss cheese roll-ups.  

Hope these ideas help.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

jastypes
on 5/26/12 11:42 pm - Croydon, PA
At 5 years out, and fairly newly re-dedicated to my plan of eating, during my work day I have a 10:30 piece of fruit (usually a banana); lunch at 1 pm, which is usually a Lean Cuisine or Smart One (or 1/2 sandwich, or sandwich on burger roll) with either 1/2 c. salad or other veggie or piece of fruit ; then at 3:30 pm I usually have dairy/fruit -- like a yogurt or apple/cheese.

That's what works for me.  Having a routine, a plan, good food choices available.

You can do this!!!!!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

jdruski
on 5/27/12 6:35 am, edited 5/27/12 6:37 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks to you all:  The answer that is in all of your replies is to plan.  Right not I am struggling with a very deep depression and the thoughts of planning even to get out of bed becomes overwhelming.  However, I am determined to get back on track .  I think what I will do is plan carefully just one day.  And write down in advance a schedule. 

Jill, I like your 10, 1, 3.  I am not usually an afternoon grazer, it is between 9 and lunchtime ( 12 or 1) that I have a problem.   

Lynn I love the it's gone it's gone. 

Patricia and Beth the ideas that you gave me are all things that I do like and never thought of.  So at least I have a guide line.

I am not going to overwhelm myself as then I will fail at all my endevors (sp?) 

Thanks to you all again.

Jeanne

Laureen S.
on 5/28/12 12:39 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Jeanne,

Everyone gave you sage advice and your response speaks of recommiting to the process of what works best. . .

Here are some of the things I keep on hand:  jars of roasted red peppers, l/f cheeses, though some of the cheese I use is not and I eat that sparingly, celery (a good substitute for eating healthy dips), satisfies the crunch factor, though I know for some people they have a problem with it, just chew, chew, chew, also fennel, which I will eat by itself, has a sweetish, sort of licorice taste to it, good with laughing cow cheese, I made wraps with the roasted red peppers, then slice it and eat slowly, very tasty and almost neglible calories in roasted red peppers.  

I make a buffalo chicken dip, with a 12 oz. can of chicken breast, which I rinse then shred, along with an 8 oz. bar of l/f cream cheese, 1/2 cup of lite ranch or blue cheese dressing, 1/2 cup of hot sauce, either 1/2 cup  blue cheese crumbles or 1 cup of shredded cheddar (both cheeses I use low fat version), put in a mircowaveable bowl and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, midway stirring all ingredients, good source of protein and sometimes I eat like a half cup with celery for lunch or some for a snack.

Eggbeaters, made with any kind of veggies and cheese can be reheated, if you don't cook them too well done intially, they reheat in the microwave. . .

Also have a great recipe for Apple Ricotta Pancakes, that I use protein powder in to give an little more protein to it. . .

2 apples grated (medium to larger ones)
4 eggs (separate 3 and beat the whites until stiff, put them aside)
1/4 cup of w/w flour or any flour (I use brown rice so I can share it with my gluten intolerant roomie)
1 scoop of protein powder
1/4 tspn of salt and 1/4 tspn of baking soda
1/2 tbspn of vanilla
1/2 tbspn of cinnamon or pumkin pie spice
1 cup of skim or no fat ricotta cheese

Grate apples put aside
separate 3 of the eggs putting the yolks aside, beat the egg whites until stiff put aside
mix dry ingredients, add apple, ricotta, vanilla and whole egg and yolks, then lastly add the whites, mix and cook as you would regular pancakes in a nonstick skillet or pan

Makes about 10 - 3 inch pancakes

You can add nuts or fruit to zip it up and serve with sugar free syrup.

Those are some staples in my diet.

Wishing you the best. . .Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jdruski
on 5/28/12 5:40 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thank you Laureen

I have several things picked out this week.  The first thing that I am going to do is go back to having my protein shake in the morning.  I stopped it just before my knee surgery.  I am also going to focus on the planning part. 

It may sound so simple to put together a meal plan but it is a major task for me for many reasons.  But I am going to plan.

The fennel idea I would have never thought of.  Do you just wa**** and just peel off any layers or am I thinking of another vegetable.  Something else that I like is squash that is just  slightly cooked.  I like the crunch factor and the sweet taste.

I can't do any kind of peppers, never could and nothing hot.  Since my surgery I haven't tried celery even though I liked it before, I might buy the already prepared hearts and see if I can tolerate them.   I found that I like hummus.  Also I am in love with sun dried tomatoes with or with out the oil factor. 

The ingredients are there, the knowledge is there, not to put the body into motion to get it done.

Thanks again to you all.

Jeanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1771 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1866 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2549 views