Ten Years Ago Today!

Boogaloo
on 5/15/16 5:40 am - PA

Hi All,

Yes, you can tell by the title of this post that I am celebrating my 10 year surgiversay.  Ten years ago I took a dramatic step towards health and wellness through weight loss and bariatric surgery.  I lost 120 lbs post surgery (and 16 lbs preparing for surgery).  I lost over 100 inches.  I also lost my fear of walking into a room and worrying that others would judge me because of my size.  I lost my fear of trying new things for fear that I wouldn't be able to physically accomplish them.  I lost my fear of adventure, in fact I now embrace new adventures.  I teach exercise classes, I travel, and I discovered that I love hiking, biking, kayaking, and more. 

I am writing today because this site was so critical to my early success.  I had so many questions and the folks on this site had such great wisdom and knowledge.  Everyone was kind, supportive and generous of spirit.  I am writing today because I hope my story can help even one person who is scared or struggling.  I am writing today for the newby that is wondering what the future might bring, or the veteran who is slipping back into old (pre surgery) habits. 

This isn't always easy. I have had to admit that I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and I sometimes find myself slipping back into old/presurgery habits.  When I do, I gain weight.  I now understand more than ever what everyone meant when they said the surgery is just a tool  I have to do the work.  Most times I do, sometimes I dont.  

Where ever you are on your journey, don't give up, reach out to others when you struggle, love yourself and know that you are beautiful and worthy of all the happiness in the world - now go out and get it!

Much love,

Lou 

Laureen S.
on 5/16/16 9:56 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Lou,

Glad you are celebrating and sounds like you have much to celebrate!  Just happened on OH for the first time in eons, based on a messenger app that was calling all the OFF oldtimers to post on May 31st to let people there know how you're doing. . .  a reunion day they call it. . . anyway, curiosity brought me here today and since I've not had a lot of WLS things to celebrate in a long time, all I can say is that I did well and then the bottom dropped out for me almost 3 years ago. 

Regain does happen and left unaddressed it is not pretty to experience, I believe it is more so for people past a certain age, who do not fully address the addiction portion of their food relationship. 

Have I given up my quest to be at a healthy weight, NO, am I doing what I need to in order to address my situation, just for today I am, but it is a day by day, minute by minute process of choosing what I know to be right and even then, to lose weight now, is seemingly impossible, however, I am healthy, other than some age related aches and pains, has it been easy, no way, not ever for me. . .

Also, I had a major health scare at the end of 2014, related to WLS and it involved emergency surgery and fixing my intenstines, which were looping and getting caught in my hiatal hernia, which had been repaired in 2007 when I initially had WLS.  I learned something I did not know, that hiatal hernia's do return and that it can pose issues with regards to our rerouted gastro intestinal tract.  My experience and advice are to NEVER ignore stomach pains, also be sure to have copies of your WLS records, as in my experience, because my surgeon had left the WLS Center that I choose to have my surgery at, was assured that I needn't worry, as they (the place I had surgery) would always stand behind their patients, regardless of whether the surgeon who performed the surgery was still there, which turned out NOT to be the case, as when I called to state what was happening with me, no doctor ever took my call, instead a "nurse" told me I should go to the ER, when I asked to speak with a doctor, I was told no one was available, finally I did go to an ER, one I choose with care, as to making sure that they had a bariatric practice group, where I got seen and told that I should see my surgeon, when I explained the situation, the doctor was incredlous as to the way my case was handled and not until he actually spoke to the surgeon at the place I had had my WLS, did he really understand my situation and became willing to take my case on.  It was then I learned of the importance of having the records, because as was explained to me by my new surgeon, they all learn the procedures the same, however, they also develop their own manner of doing things, which can present as an issue, when they go into someone else's patient, which is another reason why some doctors won't take on another baratric surgeon's patient easily, anyway, I got what I needed and the doctor at the old facility never even had the decency to call and see how I was, this further disturbed my current surgeon as he explained that should he leave his practice, I would not be turned away from anyone in his practice.  Doctors never say anything bad against one another, but my new surgeon said that the surgeon who he spoke with should really not be practicing if he is uncomfortable with taking on a possible complication.  The place I originally had WLS advertises on television on how they support their patients, well I can say that is not true, at least not in my area!  I am NOT bitter, simply sharing my experience for people to be aware of some of the pitfalls, my intestines could easily have presented with serious outcomes and thusly, I may have had a whole different outcome. . . 

Anyway, I am again, happy to see you celebrating, always loved your posts, so upbeat and wonderful!

Wishing you a lifetime of wonderful healthy living.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Boogaloo
on 5/18/16 7:14 am - PA

Hi Laureen,

So nice to hear from you! I haven't been on in while.

So, so, so sorry to hear about all of your complications :( but so good of you to share for those who might be experiencing similar problems.  I guess this is one of the many reasons why we all need to stay in touch.  Hope you are feeling stronger. 

I, too have really come to recognize my very unhealthy relationship/addiction with food and I feel that if we don't address that, no surgery can help us in the long run. 

Hope to see more of you on this site!

Lou

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1771 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1866 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2549 views