Fistula

courtzi
on 7/9/16 5:33 am - SCHUYLKILL HAVEN , PA

hi everyone it's been forever since I have been on here. I use to weight 380 and with RNY got down to 190. Over the past year and a half I started getting really sick and gained 60 lbs. finally got scheduled for tests and found out Thursday that I have a fistula that needs to be repaired. I'm just hoping that the weight can come back off after this procedure. 

pdplpn
on 7/20/16 7:33 am - Uniontown, PA

I work for a bariatric surgeon in the Pittsburgh Area  A gastro-gastric fistula will often result into a revision of the bypass allowing patient to regain the ability to lose weight again. Hope things go well.. Patricia

courtzi
on 7/20/16 12:53 pm - SCHUYLKILL HAVEN , PA

They couldn't find it with the egg. When the barium swallow was done you can see my old stomach as well. Right now I'm waiting to hear what is the next step

Laura C.
on 10/17/17 6:58 am - Carbondale, PA

I've made my way back to this board after a few years. RNY done 07/10/07. Initial weight was 250 lost 110 pounds down to 140. I have been having severe hypoglycemia issues for the past 4-5 years. Recently I have become so unaware my sugars have gotten down to as low as 27 before I realized it was dropping. Along with that I cant get my B12 or my Vit D levels to anything that resembles normal, no matter how much I am supplementing including bi-weekly B12 shots. I finally got a referral to an endocrinologist a few months ago. After seeing her she ordered tests and decided my problem was reactive. She also decided that it is basically my fault because I don't eat right, even after she sent me to see nutrition who said I am still doing everything right. I basically forced the endocrinologist to give me a referral to surgery.

I have gained 25 pounds in the past year. The bariatric surgery program at my VA in Wilkes Barre is very new so they called the Pittsburgh VA who have had the program for years. Pittsburgh said they don't do revisions there, but told them to order me an upper GI series with Lower bowel as well so they can rule out problems. I went for that study last week and got the call yesterday that my study revealed that I have a fistula along my staple line. So it is allowing food to enter my original stomach instead of staying within the bypass. The surgeons at Pitt weren't available yesterday so I don't know where anything is going to go from here. I should know something this afternoon. If they decide revision is the answer, I'm sure they will refer me to a civilian doctor since Pittsburgh doesn't do them. Unless the Manhattan VA does them which is always a possibility.

Did you ever have yours fixed?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1773 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1869 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2551 views