Signed off my paper work for surgery...he had decided to do an RNY and not the VSG.

kim_pei
on 9/19/14 9:50 am - Canada

Signed off all my paper work today. Met with Monique and Dr. B and all went well...even had a surprise of losing 9 lb.'s from my last visit. So now waiting for the surgery date! Has anyone here had an RNY? How different is the recovery, I know I am in the hospital a day longer after surgery.

jndrake
on 9/19/14 12:08 pm - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
VSG on 12/10/13

Why RNY? Read as much as you can about malabsorption and dumping.  Do you have a choice? 

"You're off to great places today is your day your mountain is waiting so get on your way.Oh the Places you'll go" Dr.Seuss

kim_pei
on 9/21/14 1:11 pm - Canada

No I have no choice.  It is because of a significant reflux issue and some damage because of it.  I had originally decided on the rny...it was prior to my scope , biopsies and tests that Dr. B said a VSG.  I don't have a choice now.  He is fixing the reflux and a large hernia at the same time.  He assured me this is a better choice for me. I am ok with it and know the long term reprocussions.  I also have a good friend that is a few years out with the same procedure that said they would help me.  Basically the recovery is the same as the VSG with a few more possible issues, an extra day in the hospital and longer surgery. But I am ok with it.

jndrake
on 9/22/14 6:48 am - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
VSG on 12/10/13

That is great that you have a friend who has had the RNY. I know there are benefits and challenges for every surgery. You seem to be on top of it and fully committed so I have no worries that you will do great and rock your RNY

"You're off to great places today is your day your mountain is waiting so get on your way.Oh the Places you'll go" Dr.Seuss

kim_pei
on 9/23/14 12:15 am - Canada

Thank you!  You look like your doing very well yourself...wow.  I will definately take some pointers!  Keep up the great work .

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still here?
Livewithnoregrets · 2 replies · 1190 views
Going on 5 years out
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3775 views
Posts?
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3809 views
workouts / exercise?
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3609 views