Patient care at the RVH

Haggisboy
on 7/29/14 4:11 am

Had my gastric sleeve surgery done at the Vic barely two weeks ago. All went well until I was moved from Recovery to a private room. First up, the room was a dump. I would have walked out if I could as it was below fleabag motel quality.

A large chunk of plaster was missing from one of the walls. No AC or even a fan (fortunately the days were cool so it wasn't needed, but still). One window with a painted wooden frame from which the green paint was peeling in large strips. An old fashioned roll up blind on the window that was all ripped, torn, and frayed.

It didn't stop there.

When they finally got me up to the room I really had to pee. I hadn't gone for two days since prior to the operation. I informed the female orderly and she handed me a pee bottle and started to walk away. I asked her to help me get it in position as I was lying down and had stitches in my stomach. Her response was "just pee the bed and I'll change the sheets."

Unbelievable!

At this point the nurse walked in and heard the exchange and said we should use this an opportunity to get me up on my feet to walk to the bathroom, which is what happened.

Upon return the same orderly came over to adjust my IV tubes and while leaning across me, belched loudly in my face. I sat there incredulous. As if that wasn't enough, she did it a second time and excused herself saying "my lunch is repeating on me".

All this in complete view of the nurse, to whom I later spoke and said that I never wanted that orderly in my room again. She never did, but many times walked by my room and gave me the stink eye.

Then lunchtime rolled around. No lunch.

At 2 p.m. a different orderly came in my room with two trays and asked if I wanted beef or chicken.

I told her I just had bariatric surgery and was supposed to be on a liquid diet.

"Ok, I'll leave you with this one then", she said, and placed one tray on my table and left with the other one.

I lifted the lid and lo and behold there sat two chicken drumsticks, mashed potatoes and mixed veggies.

I called her back and she took away the plate leaving me with a glass of cold tea and some apple juice.

I rang for the nurse and was told the caf was closed. They later came in with a small bowl of soup that had veggies in it, which I basically ate around and spit out the solids.

Another attendant came in and wagged her finger at me and told me in a lecturing tone that I should quit complaining. I told her that if I wanted to be ignored and given the wrong treatment, I'd fare better at home, which, I think, ticked her off even more.

What a dump. It's a good thing it's closing.

Most Active