Leg, foot and calf cramps ?

Brenda B.
on 8/7/11 7:36 am - Gaspé, Canada
I am 23 months post op and since about six months I started having severe leg spasms, especially at night. It is very painful.  My blood work is fine and my mineral levels are all in the normal range.  My calcium intake is the recommended dose for RNYers. It is calcitrate.  My vit D is in the normal range.  My mom read somewhere that too much calcium can cause this. Never heard of this and am a little sceptical of this 'info'.  However, I had to take a four day trip for a funeral and had forgotten my calcium, magnesium and vit D on the counter.  To my big surprise I noticed the leg spasms stopped.  Since returning home and starting up again they have come back. I am going to try and stop them again to see if it is just a coincidence. I wanted to ask the group if anyone else has experienced this and what may be the cause.  The only relief I get from this is with a RX for muscle relaxants and I don't want to keep taking these.

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

qnmimi
on 8/7/11 8:01 am - Cottage Grove, MN
As a diabetic, I've had leg cramps for years. Along with good hydration, daily exercise, I also supplement magnesium above what I get in my multivits & calcium. Magnesium works as a muscle relaxant, and 2 over the counter strength at bedtime do the trick for me. My levels have been good too, and my magnesium levels are not too high either. Good stretching before bedtime can help relax the muscles as well. I hope you get relief, those cramps hurt like crazy!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 8:38 am - Santa Cruz, CA
I'd hate to see you stop the calcium citrate;  it's so necessary for bone health.

I think you'll find that the magnesium is vital as well.

I used to get the horrible foot and leg cramps, but found that taking my calcium citrate
and eating a banana helped to clear them.  The banana supplies potassium, which is
good for relieving cramps.

Good luck. 
seattledeb
on 8/7/11 9:02 am
I get them as well. For me they go in cycles. Usually for me it's sleeping after working a shift where I never sat down.
You might be low in Magnesium. It's very high in peanut butter.
You may be low in potassium. It's very high in coconu****er, bananas, cherries, and beans.
Deb T.

Pattis70
on 8/7/11 9:29 am
I been having foot cramps really bad. But figured it was due to my medications that I take.
I go for my one year and half checkup the 18th and I will ask then.
Patti            
D-J
on 8/7/11 10:40 am
when i had leg cramps they (my doctor) told me to start taking a pottasium supplememnt,but i was taking lasix(a dieretic) at the time,, so now when ever i have to take a lasix i take pottasium too.
Gail S.
on 8/7/11 12:35 pm - New York, NY
I too get horrible leg cramps! The kind that I have to get out of bed and walk around on a cool floor in order for them to go away. I've been told that it was a calcium deficiency (okay, I'm not always perfect at getting all of my calcium in) and/or dehydration. I do notice that if I've been busy and don't get in all my water, I do get the cramps. However, they also happen when I drink lots of water. I'm not sure what it is! I've tried the banana trick and even sleep with a bar of soap between my sheets. I know it sounds crazy, but several different people have told me about the bar of soap. I don't know what it is supposed to do, but I figure, it can't hurt, so why not?

Good luck and may you have a painless night's sleep!

jpm3jpm3
on 8/7/11 1:15 pm, edited 8/7/11 1:16 pm - IN
 Ok ladies, you are going to think I am crazy....but here it goes....try sleeping with a bar of Ivory soap between your bed sheets!  No one seems to know why it stops leg and foot cramps/spasms but it does!  

I don't have spasms but the bones around the ball of my feet hurt.  My husband wanted me to mention it to the doctor next time I go.  Anyone have this issue?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 199 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?