probiotics?

poet_kelly
on 9/19/11 11:39 pm - OH
I want to try taking some probiotics.  I've been kind of bloated and gassy lately and thought that might help.  I was at the store this morning though and realized i had no clue what brand might be best or how much I should take.  Can someone please enlighten me?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kathy M.
on 9/19/11 11:59 pm - summershade, KY
I use the store brand  from walmart  jus****ch some have  calories but they work

Kathy M

laura_vermont
on 9/20/11 12:09 am
I've thought the same thing lately, posted a question and the best answer I got was the one with the highest count of bacteria.  Couldn't get an answer on a brand or exactly what to look for.....

Hope you get a better answer, because i want to try them out too.

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

docd
on 9/20/11 1:12 am - AZ
you seem to be interested in literature Kelly.
There are not any decent studies regarding probiotics.

Some weak ones regarding probiotics and post antibiotic care, but the ones for what you are talking about are very small or very subjective.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 1:30 am - Boston, MA
 I just bought some last night for the first time, I got them at CVS I forget the brand but they were on sale by one get one free so I went with that brand! I think it's natures something.. and it just says take one capsule.  I just opened them and I'm glad I read the package because it said refrigerate after opening which I"m glad I saw because I was just going to shove them in my desk drawer at work!  Hope they work sure would be nice to have normal bm's again!
immafatgirl
on 9/20/11 2:04 am - KY
i got some at a vitamin outlet store . i have to take 4-6 . but i just chew em up. they are very small. but the best ones are the ones that stay in the refrigerator..it keeps the good bacteria alive.. its just what i heard . but i can see how that can be true .. keeps your bowels in good working order.
siberiancat
on 9/20/11 2:18 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
From what I understand you want "live" bacteria and take probiotics with many kinds (strains) of bacteria.  The cheaper ones only have 1-3 kinds of bacteria.  I've found the best ones to be in refrigerator section of Vitamin Shoppe and some have 20+ kinds of bacteria - but they are pricey!

You may need to experiment and see what works for you.  I take mine before breakfast and also eat greek yogurt with live bacteria.

I used the "pricey" ones before & after my recent plastic surgery when I was having massive doses of IV antibiotcs - as the antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the intestines.  Now I've went back to one that has 6-7 live bacteria.  I'm at work - so can't tell you the brand name, but it did come from Vitamin Shoppe.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/11 4:43 am
BTW: this month they are having (BO-get one at 50%) sale on their brand in Vitamin shoppe. I stocked on those. Keep them in a fridge.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jessica M.
on 9/20/11 2:26 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I just started taking the Bariatric Advantage Probiotic Chewables.  LOVE them!  It's made a huge difference on the way my tummy feels and with constipation.  They taste really great too.   Another upside.....they're not temperature sensitive.  You don't have to keep them in the refrigerator like you do Culturelle.....you can keep them in your purse.

HW 311/SW 274.4/CW216/GW 130
Cynthia L.
on 9/20/11 3:21 am - Clarence, NY

I take these too, only because I don't know of any better one to take.

-Cyn

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 147 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics