Study says Acetominophen AND Ibuprofen both cause liver damage

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/25/11 9:33 pm - OH
Just saw a report about a recent study on acetominophen and ibuprofen that shows that even single doses of too much acetominophen (lower than the warning amount, BTW) can cause some liver damage and that ibuprofen can also cause liver damage (in addition to the ulcer issue). So... yet ANOTHER reason to avoid NSAIDs. 

Sounds like there's nothing non-prescription that's safe for pain anymore.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Carol S.
on 11/25/11 10:02 pm - Milwaukee, WI
 Every medication has a side effect.  

Tylenol at the recomended dosage is safe but the dosage has changed.  Talking to your pharmacist can put you at ease too.  That is their job!  They are typically up on all the medications, OTC and script.  
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

lilbear412
on 11/26/11 12:22 am - MN
 I am one of those people that seldom take acetominophen..if i do then that means i am definately in pain.  I am thinking you would have to really use tylenol a lot for it to cause significant damage but then again...everyones body reacts differently to everything.  I could smoke for ever and never have problems with my lungs but the next person never smoke and die of lung cancer...for example.  So i guess my advice would be to just take it sparingly and only when needed.  No one can predict how each of our bodies will react to certain things.  

thanks for the info lora.. 

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/26/11 12:28 am - OH
According to this study (still trying to get a link to it somewhere), even a single daily consumption of more than the new recommended max dose can cause some liver damage...

Lora

seattledeb
on 11/26/11 6:47 pm
Acetomoinophen is not a NSAID. I think if this drug was just coming out it would only be available by prescription. It really can get your liver if you overdo on it.
Ibuprofen is hard on your kidneys. I haven't gotten to take ibuprofen in years.

We should just stick with morphine!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/26/11 9:21 pm - OH
Yes, I know that acetominophen is not an NSAID.  I just found it interesting that, with so much attention given to the liver problems associated with acetominophen, the study showed that ibuprofen  (which is an NSAID, of course) ALSO causes liver damage.

I'm with you on the morphine, LOL!

Lora

seattledeb
on 11/27/11 1:43 am
I was sure you knew that as well but I thought the sentence might confuse some people and since Tylenol is really the only OTC pain med we can "safely" take I should clarify it.
I take plain oxycodone in liquid form for pain. What's nice for me is that it comes 1mg/1cc. I can take a very small dose and get good relief. Fortunately I rarely need it.

princess_raspberry
on 11/28/11 3:05 am
The new guideline for acetominophen is no more than 4 grams per day.  I know at the hospital I'm at for clinicals, our new hospital policy is no more than 3 grams per day for our patients.  4 grams is still a lot per day.  That's 8 extra strength tylenol or 12 regular ones.
HW 394 | SW 330 | CW 270 | GW 150
preop [64]  month 1 [32]  month 2 [10]  month 3 [18]

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 416 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?