I have 180 reasons to be thankful

kb2010
on 3/7/12 5:53 pm - CO
One year ago I was preparing to head to the hospital for my RNY and I was one miserable person. I weighed 390lbs(probably more at one time) and had just about given up hope of feeling healthy at the ripe old age of 39. My life in one short year has changed drastically. I have lost upwards of about 180lbs, look and feel so much better, and can finally say that I am living life and not just waiting for the end. So--the good, bad and ugly of life before and after RNY:

The ugly-
At 300+lbs you are not in good shape..I couldn't wipe my butt properly, get off the couch and do chores or want to go anywhere,missed out on so many opportunities for fear of being rejected or being the center of attention and being made fun of, lost out on my child's growing up years and being active with her,picked jobs for the ease and isolation of them and was on a path of diabetes,high blood pressure,sleep apnea and ultimately early death.

The bad..or not so ****s and giggles of rny-

Its hard sometimes..enough said! I still sometimes want to dive into a big old burger and fries or cruise the buffet. I don't feel like you just wake up and accept the small portions of post-surgery life. It has taken me awhile to rethink food and what it means in my life. I do find that it has lost its importance and although I can eat whatever I did presurgery,I just don't crave it like before. 
The hormones thing is no myth! My family can attest to the fact that hormone surges are real and very scary-lol. You can't go close to 13 yrs without a period and then start periods with no ill effects. The sad thing is that when in a hormonal rage-you really don't realize it and everyone else on the planet is well aware of your craziness. It has improved over the last 4-5 months as the weight has slowed down. 

The good-

What can I say? Life is good right now and so different. I walk thru life as myself and not who I pretended to be to avoid being made fun of. I can walk through a store with out dreading some kid telling his Mom to look at the fat lady. I can shop at any store and dress my age. My daughter is proud of me and I don;t feel like she is watching her Mom kill herself daily for a burrito or meaningless meal. I have a great job with the State where I work a 10-11 hr day moving constantly. There is NO way I could have done this job before and its nice to have the public cuss you out because of where you work and not because your fat and they can. I am happy..not always..but more than I was before and more so everyday as I work on myself and who I am developing myself to be.

So..final words..If you are scared of surgery...ask yourself..what do you have to lose and what do you have to gain. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks to Dr. Fisher in the Springs, my awesome pals on OH and the support and endless patience of the OH community thru this journey.

WIll post pics later:)

HW:390   GW:170ish

Kaoz789
on 3/7/12 6:50 pm
 That was so beautiful! Congrats on your loss.

Kat Kat
on 3/7/12 7:16 pm - AZ
Congratulations and Happy Surgiversary!

LouLou4
on 3/7/12 8:14 pm

What a motivational post! 

I love reading about everyone's success stories but it gives me inspiration when I see people start out on this journey around my weight and how far they have come.

It's also comforting hearing how everyone would do it again in a heartbeat.

I wish you continued success and happiness in your life

Melissalove3
on 3/7/12 10:15 pm - Portland, OR
CONGRATS, YOU ARE DOING AMAZING!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/12 11:12 pm
Well done, so happy for you!  Go forward from here living your plan (protein, vitamins, fluids and exercise) and enjoying the fruits of your labors.  Undoubtedly it's been hard work, and transitioning into maintenance is a challenge... but I have faith that you'll live up to it!

Congratulations...

tori
InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/8/12 1:54 am
That's an amazing amount of weight lost in one year- WTG!!

You should come share on our BMI 50+ board- we'd love to share in your success's!

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/bmi_over_50/

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

JerseyJim
on 3/8/12 2:09 am - Sayre, PA
Great post!

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 545 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?