Chance of Dying

Larry Wassmann
on 3/10/12 11:00 am, edited 3/9/12 11:01 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I wanted to tell the group something that a doctor who has been doing RNY for over 14 years told me that gave me great comfort. In all those thousands of operations he has NEVER had a patient die on the operating table. He said that in a facility that is rated by the authorities as meeting the requirements of Quality of Care, each patent is so evaluated that there is little chance at all of death. He said for instance that there was a greater chance of dying from joint replacement, gall bladder removal and many other common surgeries. This made me much more at ease, and I hope it helps you.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

dori M.
on 3/10/12 11:08 am - MD
 I was basically told the same thing

Kat Kat
on 3/10/12 11:13 am - AZ
Sorry to stop in, and hijack for a second, but I just saw your post and had to say....Wow Dori, You're looking good and lost 50 lbs! Awesome!

dori M.
on 3/10/12 11:25 am - MD
 SexyKat

You just made my night  with your post. You know we are our worst critics, and I've been kind of disappointed lately about what I consider slooooooooooow weight loss.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/10/12 11:09 am - OH
Although there is always the risk of someone dying because of an unforeseen problem during ANY kind of surgery, I have never understood why so many people think that RNY is particularly dangerous.  I know that the old stomach stapling procedures of decades ago had a much higher complication rate, but (as far as I know) even those procedure did not have an elevated mortality rate.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 3/10/12 3:15 pm - Suffern, NY
its not necessarily the RNY that is dangerous it is the health of the patients that are on the operating table making the mortality rate higher than other surgeries

desireelynn
on 3/10/12 11:22 am
RNY on 06/26/12
This does make me feel GREAT! however I am having my gallbladder removed at the same time so scares me a bit to know it could be more likely to die from having your gallbladder removed rather than RNY but I'm a very positive person so I will just say that this will not happen :)
dori M.
on 3/10/12 11:32 am - MD
 I also had my gallbladder removed at the same time as my RNY. I think the reason people say the RNY surgery is "less fatal" is because of all the pre surgery testing. If you think about it, people who are just having a routine gallblader removal would not have had the EGD, sleep study etc... these additional test help the surgeon to identify any possible risks you may have.

desireelynn
on 3/10/12 12:02 pm
RNY on 06/26/12
This is very true Dori! Did u by any chance have any stones in ur bile duct??? Im not sure if u see a previous post of mine where my surgeon said its very unlikely but if there are any stones in my bile duct he will not be able to do my RNY....im almost thinkin I heard him wrong who knows....how long did it take u to recover from having both surgeries at the same time???
dori M.
on 3/11/12 4:53 am - MD
 Desireelyn

I'm not sure, the surgeon never said anything about that. I did however have stones in my bile duct in the past. My recovery was pretty easy. I had surgery on a Monday came home on Wednesday I wasn't in enough pain to take the prescription meds. It was just kinda like somebody kicked me in the stomach, yeah it hurt but nothing to cry about. The day after I came home I was in supermarket walking slowly of course but out of the house nonetheless.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 225 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 374 views
Recent Topics