xanax and anxiety

nikkitop
on 5/1/12 5:19 am - NJ
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone is taking Xanax for Anxiety or other reasons? My anxiety is threw the roof and im assuming its because as the fat goes away my hormones are crazy. Also I have always have had a high strung personality.  I am just wondering if anyone is taking them, or found somethin else. .25 calms me down, .50 knocks me out.. Please Help!!
Nicole     
poet_kelly
on 5/1/12 5:21 am - OH
I currently take Visteril for anxiety.  I think they are 25 mg.  They don't knock me out but work pretty well.

I've used Klonipin in the past, and Ativan, and Xanax, at various times.  The Xanax did make me really tired.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jrmfairbanks
on 5/1/12 5:27 am - NC
I have used xanex occasionally.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/1/12 5:48 am - OH
I have used it in the past, but my current PCP prefers to prescribe Ativan for the very occasional times when I need it because of my PTSD. ( I take .5 mg 2-3X/day as needed.)  The Ativan makes me less sleepy than the Xanax did.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

undergoingchange
on 5/1/12 8:26 am

I work on a detox unit and we give Vistaril for anxiety.  It is not habit forming so I feel it would be a better choice.

We are all at risk for transfer addiction issues so taking meds like Xanax and Ativan might not be good.

Of course I certainly understand that everyone has to take what works for them.

Just be aware of the potential problem. I would hate for any of my OH family to gain a new problem.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/1/12 8:52 am - OH
Not to mention that withdrawal from benzodiazepines (xanax, ativan, valium, librium, klonopin,etc.) second only to opiate withdrawal in terms of the misery index...  

Unfortunately, Vistaril (which is actually an antihistamine!) doesn't do very much for some people. (Sleepy is not the same as calm.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 5/1/12 6:12 pm - Suffern, NY
that is interesting that you mentioned that vistaril is an allergy medication used for anxiety.  I take Attarax for years to put me to sleep - similar to benedryl but stronger.  The last time my allergist wrote the prescription, he wrote take at bedtime for anxiety.  I thought that was strange.  I thought maybe because I take another allergy pill at bedtime he couldnt prescribe 2 things for allergies at the same time.  I never questioned him since the insurance paid for it.

It is good to know that there is another one - vistaril incase they ever decide to not pay for the atarax anymore.  It is the most amazing sleeping pill without causing you to be a zombie the next day like ambien - I used to fall asleep driving the day - after 2 car accidents, I stopped it

exohexoh
on 5/1/12 10:57 am - West Chester, PA
 i take xanax for my anxiety. .25mg as needed. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. ativan was the same. klonopin i probably prefer, but usually makes me sleepy.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 213 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?