calcium citrate, swallowing and absorbtion?

On2BetterThings
on 5/6/12 12:05 pm - Germantown, WI
RNY on 04/03/12
i just bought calcium citrate petite pills, so they are smaller then the regular calcium citrate pills.. which looked like horse pills..

so if i were to swallow one, do they get absorbed in our pouch? or do i have to be worried about it gettin stuck on its way out of the pouch? someone let me know!
    RNY 04*03*12

Neaucora
on 5/6/12 12:28 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
I bought these also. But when I swallowed two of them (one at a time) I thought I was gonna die. I grind them up now and take in a shot glass with crystal light or I mix it in my food. I will never ever swallow these again. My medication pills don't hurt but these did. I would try them one at a time and see what happens. Good luck.

rbb825
on 5/6/12 10:39 pm, edited 5/6/12 10:41 pm - Suffern, NY
at 10 days out, you shouldn't be swallowing any pills. Didnt your surgeon tell you to take chewable, liquids or sublinguals in all meds for a month? I had to go to my pharmacy before my surgery and give him a list of all my meds that I currently take and will be taking for the post op month and see which ones came in either liquid, chewable, sublingual, capsule that could be opened and sprinkled into applesauce or yogurt? He went through my list which was pretty long and there were only 2 medications that didnt fit - my synthroid and my cholesterol medication - I was able to not take the cholesterol medication and stupid me, I didnt talk to my Endocrinologist and figured what could 1 month hurt without my synthroid so I didnt take it - the pharmacist said it couldnt be disolved or cut up - nothing. I believed him. I asked what children do and he said they have to learn to swallow them, they are tiny. Well, after the month, my thyroid was totally out of whack and she went nuts when she heard I was off my meds. I went back immediately but it took awhile to get back on track completely.

Please be careful swallowing any pills. I was told by one surgeon that I didnt end up using that any pill larger than an M&M wont fit through the stoma and will get stuck for the first 6 weeks. I never forgot that. I was actually able to swallow the full size citrical at 5 weeks. I used chewables which most of us use until then - bariatric advantage has the most amazing chewables - lozenges - cherry is great and chewies - rasperry and lemon are amazing - like starburst and I have heard the chocolate is like a tootsie roll.

sorry miscalculated - you are 2 weeks out - my mistake but still too early to swallow most pills maybe something the size of a pin drop

Neaucora
on 5/7/12 6:49 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
 I wish I would have gotten some liquids or chewable meds. I did get the liquid lortab for pain after the surgery, but they just told me to wait a couple days and then I could resume my meds like normal. A couple I take are pretty big. Capsule, but not rounder than an M&M. 
I have not had any problems with anything since the citricals. I just take my meds one at a time, before bed and spread them out over 15 to 20 minutes. I also take thyroid medication (hypothyroidism) and I put it in my mouth and as soon as I take a drink it dissolves in my mouth. So that one is easy to swallow. lol  I have been taking the citrical ground up ever since that incident. Its ok. If I can afford it later, I will try the chewables from Bariatric Advantage. I get my multi from Celebrate.  Thank you. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/11/12 11:09 pm - OH
Many of us had no trouble swallowing various pills right from the day or surgery. I had both my Coumadin (aspirin sized) and my Synthroid (which are smaller than aspirin) almost exactly 24 hours after my surgery. Not all surgeons require chewables or crushing.  Now, I would NOT try any kind of calcium pill the first month, because I have never seen one that wasn't large enough to cause potential problems (even the Petites are short and "fat").

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

CarolBeth
on 5/6/12 12:42 pm - SoCal, CA
I couldn't swallow the "petites" until about 5 months out, and I still don't think they're very petite.  The one I tried at 3 months caused serious pain and anguish!  Other people have no trouble with them.  I was sick of the chewable tablets, so I went to Vitamin Shoppe and got their capsules...Calcium Citrate with D and Magnesium.  You have to take quite a few to get the required dose, but it was worth it to me because they go down very nicely.  You can also get Upcal D powder that dissolves in liquids or soft foods.  My current favorite is the Bariatric Advantage chews - in chocolate or caramel.  I use the capsules morning and night, and have the chews as a treat mid-day.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

rbb825
on 5/6/12 10:42 pm - Suffern, NY
I have never seen a citrical capsule here in NY - only tablets - petites, regular and maximums

CarolBeth
on 5/7/12 12:45 am - SoCal, CA
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp? fromCatId=cat10099&id=VS-1123

These capsules saved my life!  I just gagged on the chewables, and everything else was too big.  I can swallow the big tablets now, but I like these capsules so much, I just stayed with them.  We have Vitamin Shoppe stores, but they also sell online...

rbb825
on 5/11/12 2:50 pm - Suffern, NY
do you realize that these  calcium citrates are 333mg for 2 capsules, so in order to get 500mg, you need to take 3 at a time or 666mg, you would need to take 4 at a time - we can pretty much absorb up to 650mg at a time - the citrical maximums for 2 of them, they are 630mg. So, if you take 4 of these at a time - it is just a tiny bit over the 650mg or you could just take 500mg at a time but taking 2 at a time, you arent getting nearly enough calcium

CarolBeth
on 5/12/12 7:57 am - SoCal, CA
Yes, I do.  I take two capsules three times a day, plus two Bariatric Advantage chews.  I'd much rather take LOTS of capsules than those horse pills.  That's 1500 mg per day, which us working fine so far.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 767 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 496 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 57 views