Vit D3 levels

Tonya499
on 5/6/12 9:13 pm - Riverton, UT
 I know a lot of people on here recommend getting their D3 levels over 100, but another poster pointed out that there was a study done linking high D3 levels with atrial fibrillation.  The lead physician for that study is Jared Bunch, MD.  I just so happen to work with him occasionally.  I didn't even know about the study until I read about it here on OH!  Well, I work with him on Wednesday and I am going to ask him to explain the study and results to me.  I am happy to ask him any questions you may have too.  

Here is a link to an article that discusses the paper.  I have a copy at work but I can't find it quickly enough to post here this morning.  

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/articles/53-diabetes-news/11833-excess-vitamin-d-excess-associated-with-risk-of-atrial-fibrillation

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
dasie
on 5/6/12 9:20 pm
Plese post his answer.  My D3 is low, and I'm trying to raise it.  I don't want to develop another issue in that process.

Dave Chambers
on 5/6/12 10:14 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I've had lower D issues since my RNY.  Trying dry D3, at 4 per week, my D levels finally reached a 65. I've taken one 50K IU per day for the past year, and just scheduled labs.  I've not seen any posts here or elsewhere recommending 100 plus for D levels.  Studies I've read recommend levels of 80-90 for optimum health and maximum calcium citrate absorption. If my labs for D exceed 100, I'll adjust my D3 regimine accordingly.  Your link startes with "diabetes control...", so is the study in regards to diabetics alone.  BTW, my cardio doc said I need a pacemaker surgery to control lower bp levels that cuased dizzy spells. I have visits with the cardio doc every 6 months, and I've never had any mention of heart "issues" on these doctor visits.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Tonya499
on 5/6/12 11:53 pm - Riverton, UT
"Best levels are 80-90 or possibly up to 125"  posted by Dave Chambers on 10/27/11.

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
Dave Chambers
on 5/7/12 3:59 am - Mira Loma, CA
Further research shows 80-90.  Don't recall that post. I've had countless posts on
D quoting 80-90 for the desired range.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

rbb825
on 5/6/12 11:04 pm - Suffern, NY
I am not sure where you have read that any of us recommend that anyone get there levels over 100 - we usually recommend levels of 80-100 with 100 being the max and 80-90 being ideal and a minimum of 60.  Having levels down at 30-40 put you at risk for osteopenia and osteoporosis very early out and we are all very high risk anyway and should be getting DEXA scans at 1 year post op and then yearly after that.

I dont know anything about his studies but over 100 can cause toxicity.  There are some on here that say that because take Dry D3 we can't get toxic but it can still cause kidney stones and other problems - possibly heart problems from what you are saying but I do know that it definitely causes kidney stones.  My level got up to greater than 150 - totally out of the blue - I was constistantly around 100, occasionally it would go up to 110 but always in that range and then on the next blood test after taking the same dose of 1 1/2 years, it skyrocketed to greater than 150 - couldnt even measure how high it was - could have been 180, 200 or more, we have no idea.  It was fixed right away and I am now fine but did suffer from kidney stones from both the high D level and a few other reasons = had my urine tested.

So, we all know our D cant go over 100,  The main problem that I have is certain veterans that are well know in helping others = recommend people taking Dry D3 - 50,000 units daily to get D levels up quickly and that is what causes people to end up with toxic levels up in the 200's and 300's - the stuff really works and you dont need to take it anywhere nearly close to daily - I took it 2 times at first and then went to 3 times per week for quite some time which is when it ultimately became too much.  It is better with Dry D3 to start slower and go up 1 pill at a time then to start daily, get toxic and deal with the damage and then have to cut it out for a bit to get the numbers down and then retry it again.

it is great stuff but you have to take it properly.

ShebasMom
on 5/6/12 11:46 pm, edited 5/6/12 11:46 pm
Revision on 07/05/16
I am one of those who took the advice of taking 50,000 units daily. After 6 weeks, my level was 205! It took 2 months of no vit D to get levels down to 93. Then after another month of only taking vit D with calcium, my level dropped to 74.  Next I started taking 5000 units of vit D 2x week and level went down to 56. Now I am taking 5000 units every other day and will have labs early June.
So I agree with you, it would have been easier to slowly work up my level, than the way I doing it now. As a

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

ShebasMom
on 5/7/12 12:00 am
Revision on 07/05/16
(to complete sentence above, since editing x 2 didn't)
As a 3 month post op rny, taking high doses of vit D for 6 weeks without checking a level is too long.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

rbb825
on 5/11/12 2:36 pm - Suffern, NY
I totally agree with that. I get attacked on here all the time for my frequently labs but that is exactly why with the high dose supplements we take, we need things to be checked often = especially during the first year and then if any change in a dose is made, my Endo rechecks anything in 6 weeks to make sure the new dose is working = not too much or too little. can be dangerous to take the wrong dose when you are taking super high doses.

during the first year, I had my first set of labs at 5 weeks, then 3 months, then 6 months and like I said above, anything that needed it, was done inbetween.

rbb825
on 5/11/12 2:29 pm - Suffern, NY
may I ask, why when you got to 93, didnt' you go  back on the 50,000 units just less times per week???  93 was a perfect level but if you keep taking such tiny amounts, you are going to keep plummeting and end up deficient all over again.  There is a something between taking 350,000 units per week  and then nothing for 2 months and you got to where you wanted and you continued to take nothing and you dropped further. then you went on 5,000 = 2 times per week and you went down to 56 and I bet when you get your labs in June, you will be even lower.

I started at 36 and went onto taking it 2 times per week and up to 97 in 2 months.  then in 2 weeks, I dropped down to 75, so I increased to 3 times per week and was fine   after that hanging around 100.  It wasn't until I was around the 3 year mark that all of a sudden, I skyrocket to a level they couldnt read = it came back to greater than 150 but we dont know how high.   I
had to stop it for 2 weeks and my level went down to 112 and then I went back on 2 times per week and I stayed around 120 but my Endo asked me to cut it some more to once per week and then is when I plummeted to 56 which I wasnt happy with.  I have osteopenia and I need really good levels, atleast 80-100.  So, I went back onto 2 times per week and I am pretty stable around 85.

I wouldnt be suprised when you get your labs back if you are less than the 56 you were at.  You really cut your doses too much too fast.  I know you are alittle leary with what happened to you  = maybe you can get it drawn sooner so you can known now without having it get any lower and that way if it needs to be corrected, you can do it now.   .  I really think you need to be taking something like 10,000 daily or 50,000 = once or twice per week which is a usual dose for most people.

I do hope you find this helpful - I know you have gotten some bad advice in the past.  I do know when I see the posts for daily 50,000 unit dosing, I usually try to repost to not take so much but unfornately, I dont catch them all

I wish you the best

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views