rearrangement of the intestines

HappyMe15
on 5/14/12 8:28 am
Hi guys, I used to be on the VSG board, but now my surgeon told me that the better choice for me is the Gastric Bypass... i eat LOTS OF SWEET!!  my grandmother, aunt, and dad are diabetic and recently he had a stroke..

anyway, i have some questions regarding the  rearrangement of the intestines, such as flatulence, going to the bathroom and make number 2, how often do you it, as soon as you eat, with every meal, or such once a day?

Regarding the vitamins, how many do you take daily, whats the standard?

are you so happy with this procedure, if you need to do it again would you do it?

Can someone show me a normal meal for someone that has already a couple of months off...

Thank!!!! I will greatly appreciate all the information you guys can give me... i will have an endocopy done, and im a bit scared but i know it will be as quick as possible and il be know down..lol..... :)

miranda22144
on 5/14/12 8:38 am - OK
I am only a month out, but I chose the RNY for the same reason....Sugar is my weakness, cake, candy, cookies, LITTLE DEBBIE.  SO far I havent had any problems with gas, I poo about 2-3 times a week (never had any discomfort from needing to go)-however I did use to go everyday, but its not bothersome.  I take about 14 vitamins a day, but my surgeon says that VSG's need the same amount of vitamins.  So far I am happy with it, havent regretted it, and cant wait to see the weight slip off.  My diet is kinda still getting established as Im just starting "solid foods".

jujubee4224
on 5/14/12 8:43 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Welcome to the RNY bench! I am 5 weeks out and can tell you about my experience so far. Initially, I had a fair amount of gas, now it is much less frequent. I am a little lactose intolerant, so if I decide to have milk I will use some dairy ease. I used to have multiple bm's a day, now I might have one or two a week. I used Milk of Magnesia once to get things started but haven't used it since. I found that with the low residue diet that you are on post op, you just don't have the volume or frequency of stools that you may have had pre-op. Also, I don't consider myself constipated as long as my belly feels good and my bm's are soft, so 5-7 days between stools isn't a big deal. The vitamins are sometimes a challenge, sometimes a big challenge. Poet Kelly has a great vitamin schedule for us rny'ers and I highly recommend it.
I have lost 25lbs in 5 weeks and I am very happy. Eating is a trial and error. You just need to be patient with yourself and know that we all are learning as we go. I will tell you I was terrified before surgery and now know this is normal for pre-op patients. I would do this all over again in a heartbeat. Your new life is right around the corner.
Good luck and keep us updated
Julie

LJ1972
on 5/14/12 8:53 am, edited 5/14/12 8:53 am - FL
I have no more gas than prior to surgery. I have no trouble with BM and go about the same as before surgery.
I take 3 calcium doses (2 pills 2x a day, and then a "treat" calcium once a day) , 1 iron and 2 multi vitamins. Every 2 weeks I give myself a B12 injection.

I would do this surgery 100x over.

My meals today (5/16 will be 9mths out)
B - 6 shrimp
L - 1/2 hamburger (lean beef, protein bread, tomato/lettuce/pickle) and a few fries
D - the other half of my burger
Snack - quest protein bar; another snack will be apple slices with cheese

Some days I eat more... some days less

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

poet_kelly
on 5/14/12 9:10 am - OH
Why does eating lots of sweets make RNY a better choice for you?

I don't fart any more than I used to.  It doesn't smell any worse than it used to, either.

No, I don't poop with every meal or as soon as I eat.  I poop about once a day, sometimes skip a day.  I take Miralax every couple days to help prevent constipation.

The ASMBS recommends RNY patients take two multivitamins a day, three or four doses of calcium, iron and B12.  In addition to that, I take D3, vitamin A and zinc because I had deficiencies, and I take vitamin C with my iron because it increases absorption of iron.

Yes, I'd do it again if I had to.

A couple months out, a normal meal for me was half a cup of vegetarian chili, or half a cup of Greek yogurt, or a couple of slices of cheese.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

owlisn
on 5/14/12 9:33 am - NC
 Kelly is the vitamin queen, so I will pass on that part of my response.  That said, my levels are fine with just a multi and calcium.

I don't pass gas more, but mine seem to linger longer or maybe my sense of smell is just more acute.)

I am very happy that I had the surgery.  I had my 6mo check up today and am 65% to goal.  I can tolerate most foods, but can't eat fried foods, fish or pork.  Remember though, most RNYers don't dump, so sweets may still have to be controlled by willpower.  I only have mild RH when I eat more than 20g of sugar.
Allison

Kimba032712
on 5/14/12 9:40 am
RNY on 03/27/12
I am 7 weeks out.  I have less gas then before surgery and I poop every 2 or 3 days.  I'm having a little bit of difficullty eating solid foods, but I'm learning what I can eat now. 

A meal for me consists of 1-2 ounces of processed chicken patty (can't seem to tolerate other meats yet), or 2 tbsp of 2% cottage cheese, or 1-2 ounces of soup with no meat and has soft veggies, 1-2 ounces of pureed fruit.  I can drink about 4  ounces of protein shakes and other liquids when not eating.

I've lost 43lbs.  Even though I'm having a rough time eating right now, I know it will get better, and I would have this surgery done in a heartbeat.  I take only a small fraction of the unsulin I used to take daily.

I determined that the Bypass is the best for me since I'm diabetic, have sleep apnea and other medical issues.  I needed to drop weight relatively fast, and it is a plus that most people can't tolerate sweets after Bypass surgery.

poet_kelly
on 5/14/12 9:43 am - OH
Most people do tolerate sweets after RNY.  Only about 30% dump on too much sugar.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

HappyMe15
on 5/14/12 10:04 am
 Thanks so much for all your responses.

Who is Kelly?

im so sorry im starting to understand how the bypass works. I didnt knew that most people tolerate sweets after RNY...! it supposed to help pre diabetic and diabetic people more than other WLS..

the thing i dont understand why are so many people dealing with different amounts of vitamins, some need more than others, why is that?...

The poo part and the farts im refering, are for when you are in a more advance stage of the RNY..like 6-12 months....

whats the worse and better part of the RNY for anyone here?  im talking about in your everyday life...

poet_kelly
on 5/14/12 10:38 am - OH
Kelly, here.  The weird girl that is obsessed with vitamins.

There are some basic vitamins all RNY patients should take.  But some of us had more of our small intestine bypassed than others, and some of us have bodies that just absorb certain nutrients more efficiently than others.  Then, some of us eat a lot of foods high in certain vitamins and others don't.  Some eat a lot of foods that actually interfere with the absorption of some nutrients, like if you drink a lot of coffee, it can interfere with the absorption of calcium and iron.  Women that have heavy periods lose lots of iron every  month, so they need to take more.  So we adjust our vitamins based on the results of our blood tests.

RNY does help people with diabetes.  Weight loss helps with diabetes, but something about the RNY surgery helps even more.  There was a study that compared people that had RNY and lost weight with people that lost the same amount of weight by dieting, and those that had RNY were more likely to have their diabetes improve.  (Please don't ask where that study was published, I can't remember).

No need to be sorry.

I'm 3.5 years out, and my poop has been about the same since just a couple weeks after surgery.  Normal poop, normal farts.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 279 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?