Bowel obstruction?????

FunBrain
on 7/21/12 2:44 pm
 Im getting scared....  Had incisional hernia repair done on Mon.  Might add it was/is the most excruciating pain I have ever been through due to the pulling of the muscles.  So here it is 6 days later & I have been battling constipation because Yes, I did take my pain meds. Been taken Tylenol since Thur.  Also been taking Milk of Mag. daily since Thru.  Drinking lots of water .... still not " going" much (yes Im eating)  & my muffin top where the mesh was placed is HUGE!  I know some is swelling is to be expected but it is so big its scaring me.  Is this normal or could there be a bowel obstruciton?????  I go back Tues. but just wanted to here of anyone elses experience with incisional hernia repairs!  Thanks so much!!!!

Jessica A.
on 7/21/12 2:50 pm - Auburn, AL
I had a bowel obstruction in February and it felt like someone was stabbing me and twisting a knife in my gut.  I didn't know what it was until I went to the hospital.  Lesson learned, better safe than sorry.  I called the ER and talked to a triage nurse to get their advice.  My advice to you is if it's concerning you, don't hesitate to call.  If it is a bowel obstruction, you would need it taken care of immediately.  Good luck and keep us posted..
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/21/12 3:00 pm - OH
You might have an impaction, but a bowel obstruction causes very intense pain... So you would know that something is very, very wrong.

I had a large incisonal hernia repaired (including a 6x6 piece of mesh) about a year after my open RNY.  It was extremely painful (and eclipsed only by the pain after my tummy tuck about a year and a half later) and I had a lot of swelling that popped up a few days afterward.  If my tummy had not been flat the first few days after surgery, once it started swelling I would have sworn that she didn't fix the hernia!  It was still pretty swollen at the followup visit 2 weeks later (and the one side was still very painful (along the line where the mesh was attached)) and my surgeon said both things were normal. So... based on my experience, I don't think you need to worry.  If you develop sharp deep abdominal pain, though, go to the ER!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dasie
on 7/21/12 8:53 pm
Call your surgeon's office/PCP and ask if you can take a laxetive and/or an enema.  You can also begin drinking a daily dose of Miralax, if your doctor agrees.   If you have a bowel obstruction, you will more than likely have vomiting and extreme pain.

Larry Wassmann
on 7/21/12 11:15 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Call your Surgeon's office right away. Don't fool around!!!!

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

MsBatt
on 7/22/12 1:34 am
I've had an incisional hernia repair, using mesh. I've also had a bowel obstruction. There's simply NO comparison between the pain of the two.

My hernia repair hurt pretty badly for about 2 weeks. My bowel obstruction lasted about 24 HOURS, and had me praying to just go ahead and die already.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics