please confirm pop question

amyred27
on 4/19/13 8:48 am

My mom had this surgery 30 years ago and they told her not to drink pop because it would dissolve the staples.

I was told I can drink diet pop if it is uncarbonated.

Can we drink uncarbonated diet pop?

Miamos
on 4/19/13 8:53 am - OH

Yes you can but is flat pop worth it i think not!  Yuck

poet_kelly
on 4/19/13 9:04 am - OH

Pop will not dissolve your staples, carbonated or not.

Yes, you can drink flat diet pop if you want to.  You can drink pop that is not flat if you want to.  It will not harm your staples or anything else.  It might give you painful gas or it might not.  Doesn't bother me at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jackie M.
on 4/19/13 9:39 am - Sunbury, PA
RNY on 10/10/12

I am 6 months out from my RnY.  I have not had any soda/pop at all.  

I do not drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes either.  

I am not going to take any chances with my new life by having that stuff.  

HW 284.5, SW 247, GW 140       

gbsinsatx
on 4/19/13 12:26 pm - San Antonio, TX

I have been drinking fully carbonated diet soda since 20 months post-op. I have not had any issues. Other than this unhealthy habit (yes, I know all the diet soda horror stories), I eat a well balanced Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian diet. If interested, please see my profile page.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/19/13 12:31 pm - OH

Soda is not anywhere near strong enough to start to dissolve staples AND because your pouch is basically a funnel, liquid doesn't stay in it for any extended period of time... It trickles out as soon as you swallow it... so no liquid is in the pouch for very long to cause any kind of problems.

Even if soda DID dissolve the staples, it would be the acid in it that would do so, and just letting pop go flat wouldnt change the acid content.  If you find flat diet soda appealing, sure you am drink it, but most people find that the carbonation is a big part of the attraction so flat soda isn't very appealing.  Some people find that the carbonation causes pouch discomfort; other people have no problem with it.  Some people find that soda gives them gas (burping OR flatulence); others have no problem. Personally, I have a diet soda more days than not, am maintaining me weight loss at almost 6 years out, and just pour the soa over a little bit of ice to cut the carbonation a small amount.  It doesn't cause me any discomfort, but if I drink it "straight" instead of pouring it over some ice, it can give me gas (flatulence, in my case).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kteegolfs
on 4/21/13 10:49 am - MI
Lora,

At what point did you try pop again? Ad do you drink caffeine or decaf?

Thanks,
Katy

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/13 11:10 am - OH

I had a single sip about 4 months out, but did not have more than that until after 6 months, and then it was just very occasionally (maybe half of a class/can per week).  I did not start drinking it again regularly until I was almost at my goal (so at about 18 months out).  I drink caffeinated (usually Pepsi Max or Coke Zero).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

beverlyp
on 4/19/13 10:48 pm

Those staples are made out of  Titanium.  They would survive more than our bodies.  If someone digs up my grave in a couple hundred years the pile of staples will probably still be laying there. 

dahoodman
on 4/19/13 11:03 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?