Roz4103 · 42 replies · 1191 views
Full liquids
bublegirl1 · 29 replies · 457 views
Misery and Donuts!!!
MyLady Heidi · 20 replies · 599 views

when I sleep my bones hurt

jazzyz310
on 4/20/13 5:09 pm - TX

Does anyone else have this issue? The top of my legs wakes me up, on the side,feels like the  bones, what in the world causes this pain? It bothers me really bad and I keep having to turn to one side then the other and repeat.

Could I be lacking a vitamin?

Kelly in Texas   Gastric Bypass   Oct 15 2012  

BellaNY
on 4/20/13 5:17 pm

I have been having issues with hip pain. Did a search recently and found out that it is very common after WLS. Just started physical therapy and my PT said that weight loss means you are walking differently ... will cause pain while muscles adjust.. I started PT on Monday and it's already helped ... so maybe you're having the same issues.

jazzyz310
on 4/20/13 7:15 pm - TX

Thank you, maybe that would help...??

healthy-rickfan1971
on 4/20/13 5:21 pm

I used to get terrible pain in my joint bones and back when I would sleep. I think it was due to the weight pressing down on them as I tried to rest. It made finding a comfortable position very difficult. Now it tends to happen only when I have been in 1 position too long. Just another one of the MANY things that improves as I lose. I sure hope yours improves soon as well. We humans need to be able to rest when we try to sleep.

jazzyz310
on 4/20/13 7:13 pm - TX

Thank you

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/13 6:34 pm - OH

Is it the top of your legs (your thighs) or is it your hips?  Before surgery, I slept mostly on my stomach but that wasn't comfortable as I lost the weight, so I started sleeping on my sides and by the time I had lost about 150 of the 190 pounds, I noticed that the hip I was laying on would start to hurt (enough to wake me up).  After I would roll over, eventually the other one would start to hurt, so I would roll again.  Sorry to say that this has continued for me.  I have finally found a way to sleep sort of between sleeping on my side and sleeping on my stomach.

Lora

7 years out and maintaining 190 pounds lost!  

“You don't drown by falling in the water.  You drown by staying there.”

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 4/20/13 6:43 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12 with

I sleep on my side with a really thick body pillow between my legs...it seems to align my legs or my hips or something but whatever it does I sleep much better.  Make sure you get a good body pillow, not a cheap one that squishes flat.  

5'9  BMI 25.8

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Tiggybeep
on 4/20/13 6:55 pm
RNY on 04/02/13 with

I've been having pain in my hips (brand new to me) ever since surgery - bad enough to wake me up and keep me awake.  My psychopharm (who volunteered to help me with pain management) put me back on oxy for it temporarily.  According to her and another one of my docs, it's likely from time spent on the operating table, which apparently has zero cushion.  I'm amazed I still have the pain 2 1/2 weeks out.  It's getting better though slowly.  Newest game plan for me is 10 mg oxy at bedtime (which lets me sleep about 4 hours), then a tylenol upon waking (which last night let me sleep another 3 hours).  I checked, you're not nearly close enough to your surgery date for this to be what's making you hurt, but I thought I'd share for those who are closer to being new post-ops reading here.  Hope you get it figured out soon, not sleeping sucks!! 

jazzyz310
on 4/20/13 7:13 pm - TX

Thank you

jazzyz310
on 4/20/13 7:11 pm - TX

Thanks for the replys..Lora, it might be my hips...I really dont know what to call it, but sounds just what you are describing...Very painful.

I suppose I shall try a body pillow..

I feel for all of you who have this, I will just hope it goes away for us all....Thanks all

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 4/20/13 7:31 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12 with

I love my body pillow so much I call it my boyfriend (lol I am married).  I take it on road trips with me also.  

5'9  BMI 25.8

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

rhondanewme
on 4/20/13 8:00 pm - Grantsboro, NC

I have the exact same problem. I am 3 years out and this is an ongoing problem for me. I have tried a small pillow between my knees and that helps sometimes. but sometimes it is bad enough that I get very little rest at night. I have always been a side sleeper, and I think that as I lost weight, more pressure was put on the bones or joints. It's not quite at the hip, more like the side/top of my legs, very near the hip joints. I have also worried about vitamin issues, wondering if it could be calcium related. At least I know that I'm not the only person to have this! Maybe we'll both find relief!

HW- 297      SW- 280      GW- 178       LW-  184      CW- 190

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference...

WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!
jazzyz310
on 4/20/13 8:59 pm - TX

sounds exactly what i am having and wear it is hard to describe..

jazzyz310
on 4/20/13 9:01 pm - TX

*where

LadyLilMax
on 4/20/13 8:29 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

Wow, I am 4 and 1/2 months out and have the hip problem with sleeping.  Also have pain in my mid back like directly behind where my pouch is but that feels more muscular as it feels fine in the morning and as the day goes on it starts hurting.  I have tried different bras to see if that would help but so far they haven't.  

I think I will call a PT and make an appointment since one poster said she was already helped after one session.  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

MrsLitch
on 4/20/13 8:32 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
My ortho said bursitis is very common pot op as we lose weight. It started for me with hip pain, which radiated to upper legs. He gave me a cortisone injection in my hip. Helped tremendously. It's been six mo and is getting a little worse each week again and now my knees. I'm going back in for another shot. A pillow between the knees and/or sleeping at a 45 angle kind of on my side but rolled forward a bit to take presseure off legs/hips really helps

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Karen R.
on 4/20/13 10:21 pm
RNY on 04/14/13 with

Oh man.  Thank you for posting this.  Reading through these comments, it's nice to see I'm not alone (even though I wish none of us were dealing with this).  I'm only a week out and I'm having real trouble sleeping at night.  the only way I seem to nod off is on my back, which isn't terrible, I guess.  But before, I used to sleep a lot on my side.  Only now, the pain in my hip and along the side of my thigh is enough to make me twitch.  I just can't do it.  I guess I'll wait and see if it gets any better.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

TammyH968
on 4/21/13 10:39 am - Wichita Falls, TX

I have been going crazy with my hip pain.  Have been to orthopedics doctor, physical therapy, and nothing has helped.  Never even entered my mind that it could be from WLS.  But it makes sense.  I will bring it up at my next appointment.  We even bought a new mattress thinking it was that and last night was the first night sleeping on it.  I don't have the heart to tell my husband I hurt all night long.  It hurts throughout the day but starts when I sleep.  Really glad I am not alone.  Thank you for your post.