Does carbonation really stretch your pouch?

bbearsmama
on 10/16/13 11:44 am
RNY on 02/28/13

HI there-

I was really good about no carbonation for the first few months following surgery but then I discovered Coke Zero and I love it!!  I usually have one per day.  I went to see my gastroenterologist about a week ago and the PA told me that it could stretch my pouch. Do you think that is really true? I don't have any discomfort after drinking one. I never drink a full one all at once. I just may sip on a small bottle throughout the day and even then I never finish one.  I am 8 months out.

Thanks so much for your help!

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Candy V.
on 10/16/13 11:46 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

No it won't stretch the pouch.  The carbonation can come up as burp or down as gas lol

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

bbearsmama
on 10/16/13 12:22 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

Thank you so much for your help!! I know it's not necessarily "good" for me but it is something that I really enjoy. I love the carbonation!

poet_kelly
on 10/16/13 11:54 am - OH

No, it is absolutely not true.  The PA apparently does not understand anatomy.  There are openings at both the top and bottom of your pouch.  Liquids do not stay in the pouch.  How could any liquid, carbonated or not, stretch the pouch?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bbearsmama
on 10/16/13 12:19 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

Thanks so much, Kelly! I was so hoping that you'd reply because you are such a wealth of helpful info!!

illinois Gama D.
on 10/16/13 11:57 am

positively 100 % WILL NOT, I am 10 years post, I drink diet pepsi, just had my pouch looked into (exploratory surgery ), it is the same:)  carbonation did nothing to it at all,

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

bbearsmama
on 10/16/13 12:20 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

Woo-hoo! I thought I had read this on the board previously (that it doesn't stretch it) but then I was starting to wonder after the PA said that.

Thank you for your help!

ebtiger24
on 10/16/13 12:46 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

The carbonation may make you a party favor with all the gas, but it won't stretch your pouch. 

bbearsmama
on 10/17/13 1:18 am
RNY on 02/28/13

LOL--that totally cracked me up!! Thanks for a good laugh!! :)

selhard
on 10/16/13 1:46 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

"Stretching the opening at the bottom of the pouch (not the pouch itself)" was a question that came up at this week's support group and here's what the guest speaker from the Center of Weight Management-Park Rapids, MN said..."there are two things that cause stretching #1 carbonated drinks and #2 pushing food through too fast by drinking with or too soon after food consumption."  Nobody in the group challenged her answer probably cause we were all sitting there guilty of both offenses a time or two :/

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views