Does carbonation really stretch your pouch?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/16/13 2:02 pm - OH

It's a shame no one spoke up because now she will continue to spout nonsense to others!  I know people have different personalities, but I don't understand why "guilt" over having done one or both items would keep an entire group silent about BS from someone who is SUPPOSED to know what she is talking about.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

molly3613
on 10/16/13 11:24 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I was going too post this morning and ask where Lora was. And here you are.  Silent for a while but back now.  Very good

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/18/13 12:06 am - OH

On vacation...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/17/13 11:47 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:

It's a shame no one spoke up because now she will continue to spout nonsense to others!  I know people have different personalities, but I don't understand why "guilt" over having done one or both items would keep an entire group silent about BS from someone who is SUPPOSED to know what she is talking about.

Lora

Pretty close to what I was thinking!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

sarah_durso
on 10/16/13 1:49 pm

Our NUT said it will not stretch the pouch. But in cause very uncomfortable pains. I've experienced them !!! I have one here and there.  

debbysjourney
on 10/16/13 11:49 pm
RNY on 10/14/13

Wow, this is sooo good to read!!  I've heard that too about the stretching of the pouch/sleeve.  (My husband had the sleeve.)  I've never actually ask the Dr., but the NUT's have said that.  I love Diet coke caffeine free!  I can see the bubbles giving you gas though.  

Debbie  

dirks34
on 10/17/13 12:14 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Thanks for the input everyone...good to know. Personally I just have a sip of my husbands once in awhile to satisfy my cravings.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

Mary Catherine
on 10/17/13 12:26 am
I was at a pre-op meeting where they did a demonstration of how carbonation would stretch your pouch. They filled a small balloon with Coke, tied the end in a knot and put it in a clear bowl. During the meeting the balloon burst from the carbonation. It was a very real reminder for me for a long time that the pouch would stretch from carbonation. Later someone pointed out that our pouch has an opening on both ends and cannot hold the bubbles in. So the answer is No.
Melanie C.
on 10/17/13 1:06 am

I had lapband surgery 4 years ago. They told me that drinking carbonated drinks will stretch the pouch, but I drink diet Mt. Dew all the time and when I had my appointment with the surgeon about gastric bypass he did an upper GI and said that everything look about my band looks great, no erosions, no slips, no stretching and the band is still in the right place. The nutritionist I saw a few weeks ago told me that when I have gastric I cant drink carbonation because it will stretch the pouch I was wondering how true that is.

poet_kelly
on 10/18/13 1:39 am - OH

I suggest finding a registered dietician that actually understands the anatomy of a gastric bypass, since this nutritionist clearly does not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 565 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 343 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 21 views
Recent Topics