Cannot help this uneasy feeling....

mzlaura
on 4/14/14 1:34 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

That i will be stuck in the 200's forever. I recently have been exercising more including more dancing, climbing, mostly cardio. I am also working on getting more protein in and lowering carbs/sugar Ms but somedays i really feel like throwing in the towel because i keep gaining upwards of 18 pounds due to constipation. I don't know what else i can do i have been stuck since January this year so 3 months now with not losing or just losing the constipation weight only to gain it back. I just want to get to onderland is that so much to ask?? I am 10 pounds away I MEAN C'MON 10 POUNDS! I have lost 192 lbs total only 88lbs since my RNY but still. I am just so frustrated that i feel like throwing in the towel my body refuses i don't think i will ever be under 200 lbs never mind my goal of 160 lbs.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

rvtisme
on 4/14/14 3:23 pm
RNY on 12/16/13

Laura, have you talked to your doctor about the weight gain and constipation? Your weight loss to date sounds amazing though. How long ago did you have your surgery?

renee

HW: 355, SW 314.2, GW: 165 - Surgery Date 12/16/13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/14 1:19 pm - OH

What does throwing in the towel mean?  Your surgery is permanent (barring serious medical issues), so you cant change that.  So does it mean just eating whatever you want?  Yeah, I guess you could do that... and then gain back much (or all) of the weight you have lost.

You seem to still have the mindset that you are doing something special right now.  What you are doing now, though, is the same thing you will need to be doing even once the weight loss stops (unless you want to regain)!  So I am confused about what "throwing in the towel"   means.  What you are doing now is what you signed up to do for the rest of your life when you signed the surgical consent.  Even if you never lose another pound.

I understand that you are frustrated, but i think your focus needs to shift if you want to be successful and don't want to drive yourself crazy.

Has your surgeon or PCP told you that you have 18 pounds of fecal matter in your intestines?!?!? I think that would be pretty impossible.  Look at how big a pound of ground beef is (and note that ground beef is much more dense than your stool).  Now imagine 18 packages of that (allegedly) inside your intestines!  Sorry, but that is just a ridiculous amount.  Do you know how incredibly distended your belly would be and how incredibly painful that would be?!?  I once went 4 days without a bowel movement (but normal meals) because of high doses of narcotic pain meds, and once I got things moving again (and, boy did it move!) it was only a few pounds.

Just keep doing what you know you need to be doing, and take your focus off the scale and focus it on the lifestyle changes.  You are going to be doing it for many years without the reward of the scale dropping.  The only reward will be the scale not going up (which is what happens if you "throw in the towel").

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mzlaura
on 4/17/14 9:04 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

Thank you!! It's just incredibly frustrating to keep losing the weight I gained just simply from constipation. Yes my doctor did confirm it's likely constipation as I am apparently not retaining any water and my labs look great. I realize I signed up for life I just don't feel done where I am at and besides constipation cannot figure out why I'm not still losing either.

theamazingtif
on 4/17/14 9:19 am - Rockwall, TX

I understand what you're feeling. You've come this far just to get stuck!  I had my surgery less than 2 months ago and have been stuck most of the last 3 weeks. Have you checked your thyroid??  I haven't been taking my meds and I'm betting that's what causing my stall. Try not to get too frustrated. You've done so well this far. 

Member Services
on 4/17/14 1:45 pm - Irvine, CA

Posts in this thread have been removed due to violations of our Terms of Service. The pertinent portions of the TOS that were violated include inciting anger and references with personal attacks of another member.

Please be mindful of our Terms of Service when making posts to this (or any) message board. Multiple posts that contain continual violations of our TOS may result in moderation of a member's account. 

We encourage discussion and interaction between members on topic in a thread that comply with our TOS.

Thank you or your anticipated courtesy and cooperation.

Sincerely,
Member Services

White Dove
on 4/18/14 1:53 am - Warren, OH

Why are you not taking stool softeners and laxatives? 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/18/14 1:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That sounds really frustrating! :(

I'm admittedly a bit skeptical, however... This guy caught an 18lb tuna, are you sure you can gain the same amount of weight due to constipation? I'm not sure my entire digestive system takes up that much space in my body!

Are you getting much fiber? Have you tried switching up your exercise from cardio to strength training?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kate -True Brit
on 4/18/14 5:13 am - UK

It must be very frustrating but it is hard to imagine 18lbs being simply due to constipation. To retain that amount of faecal matter would be a major medical problem causing serious damage to the intestines.  

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

mzlaura
on 4/19/14 1:16 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

Idk. All I do know is my labs are okay. And doctor says I am not retaining water.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 464 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 379 views
Recent Topics