Struggling at 14 months post op

groovykg
on 4/15/14 4:53 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

My surgery was 2/27/13 (249?) and I have been stalled since Thanksgiving (177), which was right at 9 months post op. I am having trouble timing eating and drinking.  I end up grazing all day because as soon as I drink anything, it's basically flushed out of my pouch (or so it feels) and that makes me feel the need to eat again.

Can any long timers post your eating/drinking schedule?  Am I abnormal?

Kim S.
on 4/15/14 4:58 am - Helena, AL

I eat 6-7 small meals during the day and do not drink for at least 30 mins after, most of the time up to an hour.  Then I just sip regularly until the next meal.  I do not now nor have I ever drink with meals.  I always follow this rule. I drink a lot of water when I workout in the evenings, and I always start the day with about 8 oz of water....right when I get out of bed.

You KNOW what to do.  Your choices determine success or failure. Aren't you worth the effort it takes to succeed?  Invest in YOU and JUST DO IT.

Hugs.

dasie
on 4/15/14 5:58 am

I have to retype this an advertisement got in the way, and I think I lost it. If I repeat what I say I'm sorry.

Kim had good advice.  The only thing I would add is ask what are you eating during the day? I have to stay away from high carb foods such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, crackers, chips, sugar, all the things that affect and spike blood glucose levels thereby making me hungry.  When I do those foods, maintaining is relatively simple.  I try to concentrate on meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, cottage cheese, yogurt and healthy snacks. 

As far as drinking, I do not put a beverage by my plate at my meals.  When eating out, I order water, and a family member will move the water to the opposite side of the table.  Also, when I finish every mail I look at a clock and make a mental note of 30 minutes out.  Generally I wait an hour before I drink, but if I do drink something like coffee after a meal, I wait 30 minutes from the time I finished my mail.  I have learned the longer I go without liquid prior to eating and after eating I am able to stay satisfied and full.  I also know high-fiber foods help me feel full.  I have learned I cannot eat oatmeal, bananas, and things of that nature in the morning. They are healthy, but the carbs spike my sugar first thing and I end up wanting to eat all day long.  If I am hungry for oatmeal or banana or something like that I save it for a late night snack.  Then when I go to bed I'm not bothered.  I hope this helps.  You know what to do you have been successful you just have to remind yourself this is for the rest of our life no matter what.  There is no way around it.  I have no doubt you will be able to get back on track and make this work for you.

dasie
on 4/15/14 6:01 am

I am using Siri to dictate – in my response she was supposed to write meals not mail

marymo362
on 4/15/14 6:12 am
RNY on 03/18/14

Darn Siri anyhow!

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

dasie
on 4/15/14 7:35 am

I should not take her name in vain. I do not know what I would do without her!

tdbull
on 4/15/14 6:40 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
The only other thing I would add is log every morsel and liquid. I use myfitnesspal app and this tells me how many calories, protein, carbs, etc. It helps keep me accountable. I'm a very visual person so I need these types of visuals to help me in my journey.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

dasie
on 4/15/14 7:37 am

Good point I forgot to mention. I love MyFitnessPal. I use it every day; in fact I came in here to log my dinner a few minutes ago and saw the response to my response

Dee.spunk
on 4/15/14 6:52 am - Sacramento, CA
Make sure what your eating is dense protein too. The denser the protein, the longer you'll stay full.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

dasie
on 4/15/14 7:39 am

Wow your before and after photos are dramatic.  I bet you get a lot of feedback – beautiful!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics