Haven't told anyone, how can I explain?

beach_lover_fromPA
on 4/16/14 12:15 pm

I have been in the process since July of 2013.   My insurance required a 7 month supervised weight loss with my PCP, my psych evaluation was help up, and I was finally approved on Monday. This has been one of the longest, drawn-out processes that I have experienced.  I have had no support from the surgery center except my initial consult.  Everything that I have encountered and dealt with, I have done it by myself.  I haven't told a single person about my upcoming surgery except my husband and the required physicians.  I am very self conscience of myself, my weight and what others say about me (typically behind my back).  I have dieted many times before and have lost up to 60 lbs, a few years ago. My support system will come from my husband, forums and one frined I intend to tell post-surgery.  My question is how can I explain my absense from work for a week or so, and then weight loss without telling anyone that I had the surgery???  I may eventally have the courage to tell others, but right now, I just can't

JLS_NJ
on 4/16/14 1:10 pm
RNY on 10/15/13

I felt much the same way.  I still don't come out and tell people I had surgery.  I will not lie if someone ask!  Will Not!   But I tell people when they ask, I am supervised, and in contact, monthly (I go to support meetings) contact with my drs.  And I recount my daily practices, ex:  no one meal is more than one cup is volume, I don't drink 30 minutes before or after a meal, I jouraalize everything, even cheats .... But don't talk about the surgery.  

Right after surgery I told people I had some stomach issues to address & kept the conversation short & changed the subject. (Many people won't ask details in fear it's women issues!  lol)  My husband is a pastor and I just kept things short, honest & changed the subject.  

Its your business & if you need it to be a private matter right now, keep it private.  Its your journey.  My DH (dear husband) is my greatest support!  

I posted my first pic of my 95lb loss this past week.  I continue the same approach, explaining my daily routine .... I don't want to deceive but want my privacy. 

At first I was afraid of failure, but praise God, enjoying tthe victory! 

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

poet_kelly
on 4/16/14 3:56 pm - OH

Tell them you are having surgery but not what kind.  Tell them you need time off work for medical reasons but don't elaborate.  Or just tell them you need time off for some "personal stuff."

As far as how to explain your weight loss, I really hope you don't lie about it because I think that is unfair to other people.  If you don't want to explain it, then don't.  Just say "I prefer not to talk about it" or "I'm not comfortable sharing that."

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/16/14 8:24 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I told my boss that I was having abdominal surgery for a female issue.  Since losing, I tell people I'm working with dieticians & drs at the Cleveland Clinic. I feel this is truth. I wouldn't lie if asked directly. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

chulbert
on 4/16/14 10:19 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You are being deceptive.  If you say just enough to leave people with the impression it's just diet and exercise then you are lying by omission.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/16/14 11:08 pm
RNY on 12/31/13
On April 17, 2014 at 5:19 AM Pacific Time, chulbert wrote:

You are being deceptive.  If you say just enough to leave people with the impression it's just diet and exercise then you are lying by omission.

You are being judgmental.  

I am not being deceptive.  I did have a surgery for a female issue at the same time as well as a hernia repair.  I have also had chemotherapy and radiation -- a caesarean and a tonsillectomy.  I don't share those surgeries and treatments, either.  I've had infertility treatments.  I didn't share them when people congratulated me on my pregnancy.  t am NOT under obligation to share any of my medical treatments with anyone, but especially my boss who can use medical issues against me.  As I said, if asked directly, I would not and have not lied.  However, I do advise them that the question is personal and potentially impolite unless I am very close to them.

chulbert
on 4/16/14 11:37 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Of course you are and I'm pretty sure you know it.

As has been stated elsewhere in this thread by myself and others, saying nothing is fine.  However, a half-truth is lying and it reinforces the stigma of having weight loss surgery.  Additionally, it shames others with weight problems for failing to lose it "through diet and exercise."

If someone asked how you traveled to Hawaii you wouldn't say, "Some walking and driving," because you walked to the car and drove to the airport.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/16/14 11:49 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

You are entitled to your opinion. 

I would never not share with someone else suffering from obesity.  I don't share fully with MY BOSS and co-workers.  As a side note, not one of them suffers from obesity or even from being overweight.

Your dictum of what is acceptable:"As has been stated elsewhere in this thread by myself and others, saying nothing is fine.  However, a half-truth is lying and it reinforces the stigma of having weight loss surgery," is wonderfully judgmental, but I am happy that works for you.  Last time I checked, however, I live to my own moral standards and not yours.  

Tell anyone and everyone you desire.  I pass no judgment upon you.  

poet_kelly
on 4/16/14 11:23 pm - OH

I don't think it's the truth and I don't think you do either, or you wouldn't say that you won't lie if asked directly.  So you will lie if asked indirectly?  And if asked directly you won't just say you are working with dieticians and doctors, even if you consider that the truth?  That doesn't make sense.

I think saying you are working with dieticians and doctors is only a little part of the truth and is leaving out the biggest part, that you had WLS.  It would be like asking someone "How did you become a doctor?" and them saying "I got my high school diploma and studied a lot."  Well, that is true, but that would be leaving out the part about graduating from medical school, which is a crucial component of how they became a doctor.  Your WLS is a crucial component of how you lose weight.

You can lie if you want to.  No one here online can stop you.  But it is a lie.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/16/14 11:37 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Actually Kelly, I don't agree with you.  That's ok.  We can see this differently.  I think that it is unnecessary to volunteer information about WLS to most people.  It's really none of their business and they aren't really seeking information about losing weight.  If I have a close friend or someone who is really seeking and answer to an obesity issue, I have no problem sharing that with them.  I have told anyone who asks sincerely about WLS the full disclosure of my own experience.

When I say that I won't lie directly, I mean that I am not comfortable with outright lying if someone asks specifically.  I either explain that they are asking a rude and personal question, answer fully, or decline.  No, I don't consider it "lying" if I don't volunteer information to someone who asks indirectly.  Again, most of the time when people casually comment on the weight loss they say something to the affect of, "wow, you've lost so much weight, how'd you do it?" If anything, they expect to hear a some miracle or magic cure.  They don't want to hear about working a medically supervised plan that requires me to work really hard at it.  It isn't my job to school them, either.

You are entitled to consider that "a lie."  But opinion isn't the same as fact.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 228 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 374 views