New Member, RNY surgery done 9 days ago

iPhoneTodd
on 4/16/14 12:31 pm

Hello,

I did a search for a couple questions I had and I found threads on both here so I thought I would join.

I just had the RNY surgery last Monday, 4/7.  I think all went well, I feel pretty decent.  Here's been my experience so far:

Day 1 (Male - 355#'s - 6'0"):

Woke from surgery, hurt much more than I thought it would.  Went up to room, and was still in quite a bit of pain; apparently I was the last person to walk (3 others had the surgery that day; 1 before and 2 after me).  I felt pretty bad that I was having a difficult time with the pain and didn't pu****

Day 2:

Finally made a short walk around the hospital.  They had me stay another night.  Barely able to eat anything - just a little broth (couple spoon fulls), pain especially in the mid section was pretty bad. 

Day 3:

Was released from the hospital; still in pain but able to walk.  Better to be home.  Can't lay on side and that makes it difficult to sleep.

Day 4 - 7:

Moving incrementally better, able to put in decent amount of liquid and foods.  Still can't sleep on side; still decently painful.

Day 8-9 (now):

Pain is mild, I can walk pretty good.  I walk 1/2 mile three times a day.  I can sleep on my side (barely).  Have had zero nausea and two bowel movements over the last few days.  I haven't had any pain from food, but I do have cravings for food.

My meals in general come out to:

600-800 calories

55% Carbs

30% Protein

15% Fat

Weight loss so far = 9 pounds (about a pound a day).

I'm not sure what to expect still.  I'm a little worried that I do not get any sensation of being full, I can easily eat 1 cup of cream of wheat or strained soup and drink fluids right after.  I've had zero nausea so far.  The down side is that I'm tempted to try foods sooner than I'm supposed to as I've had no difficulties other than the surgery pain.

I'll try to keep this updated and watch for any questions I can answer... I have high hopes.  My goal weight is 180#'s (a 175# loss), but I would be happy at 220#'s too.

Cheers!

Todd

Fireed
on 4/16/14 1:06 pm

Thank you so much for posting.  I had the same surgery on the same day.  I am having very similar experiences.  I did start working from home on Monday.  I am frustrated I don't feel better.  I had a coworker that had surgery on Thursday and was back Monday.  I know I know not everyone is the same, but I think my boss is frustrated with me because I am not working full days.

When do you plan to go back to work?

iPhoneTodd
on 4/16/14 1:47 pm

Wow Fireed, you're already back to work?!?  I have no plans on returning before 5/5 (4 weeks) and only then because i can work from home for a couple weeks also.  I have my first post-op appointment tomorrow.

I couldn't imagine going back to work already... while I can physically walk 1/2 mile at a time, sitting upright for a long period would be unimaginable already.  I can do a recliner, but more than an hour of straight up is painful.  Also, I'm still on the liquid Hydrocodone... I don't think my employer would want me to work under the influence of a narcotic, even if it is a med.  Heck, you should see my long Facebook posts... it's easy to tell when I'm about an hour post pain killer.

I'd appreciate anything you can share for your experience too.  I'll post what my surgeon says tomorrow.  My main fear now is that the "hole" at the bottom of the pouch is too big since I can eat fairly large portions... though, they are all liquid.  The "firmest" items I've eaten are cream-of-wheat and Greek Yogurt.

I just had my first "cheat" moment.... i had 1/2 a teaspoon of smooth peanut butter about an hour ago... no issues keeping it down and the fat/calorie boost felt good.  I track my daily averages at I'm doing 11g of Fat, 60g Protein and 74g Carbs which works out to be a 16%, 47%, 38% breakdown respectively (I guess the difference is due to calories by type since that math doesn't come out right) and about 650 calories.  I'm also averaging 70 oz of fluid per day (I count my vitamins, meds and protein water as fluids).

Its very impressive you've returned to work, please be sure to take care of yourself.  And, Thank you again for the reply; I hope you have a wonderful journey on this road.

Todd

Fireed
on 4/16/14 3:02 pm

I am struggling to drink enough, and "eat" enough protien.  I had my 1st doctor appointment today.  My doctor is VERY conservative about food progression.  So I have gone from broth, jello, and protein shakes to pudding and refried beans.  :-)

I am only on OxyContin at night, so I am ok to work, but you are right sitting-up for several hours is painful.  I had to quit after 5 hours today so I could take a nap.  I don't think my boss liked that much.

I am only walking about 1/4 mile 2x a day.  I also feel a bit like a bottomless pit, but I do feel it if I over eat.

My cheat was licking my finger after I made my son's pbj this morning.  :-) 

How are you able to walk so much?  Were you walking a lot before?  

I am feeling very unprepared for my future life.  It seems like you are doing great!  

Let me know if you have any specific questions.  I would love to stay in touch, since we had surgery on the same day. 

iPhoneTodd
on 4/16/14 3:46 pm

Totally, I look forward to your replies for sure... not that either of us should be the "norm" but, its nice to hear things that we may share in common.

My program is pretty laid out for me in 4 phases (each one I listed what is "new):

Phase 1 (days 1-3) - Water, Crystal Light, Broth/Bullion, Water, Jell-o & Ice Chips

Phase 2 (days 2-13) - where I am now - Liquids "thinner than a milkshake", applesauce, greek yogurt, lactaid milk, sugar free pudding, cream of wheat.

Phase 3 (days 14-27) - Can't wait for this on Monday - cottage cheese, pureed tofu, strained baby foods, well cooked & mashed beans

Phase 4 (days 28-41) - Eggs, banana, cooked/pureed vegetables, steamed fish, thin Deli turkey/chicken, mashed potatoes and very well toasted bread.

After day 42, or on 5/19 (yes, I'm waiting for that day :) ) then i can try ONE new food a day to see how I react.  I'm so looking forward to refried beans but I can't have those until 5/5... which is when I think I'm going to try a Cinco De-mayo meal of refried beans and avocado.

As for walking, i'm embarrassed to say I wasn't walking much at all... I'm actually walking more now than I have in many years.  At first it was tough, I started with one trip up and down the driveway (1/4 mile, I live on property) and now I'm up to doing that trip twice two times a day (or, 1 mile a day).  It takes me 10-12 minutes each time (depending on how "spry" i feel).  I can usually get my wife or son to walk with me which helps, if not I put on the headphones.  I just finished my night walk a few minutes ago and it was hard to get going - my feet were sore and my sides (core muscles) are feeling it pretty much.  But, I am committed to doing this... my doctor told me "your job for the next 4 weeks is get healthy which means to eat and exercise appropriately."  That has been helpful.  I'm lucky to have a great support system at work too, I timed this at the ideal time for my business so I'm not pressured to return.

I'll gladly share my plans with you if it'll help you feel prepared.  My family is supportive too; my wife is great in that she feeds my sons and keeps the food away from my sight/smell, they've been eating out a lot and when they're at home its non-cook food (sandwiches, etc.).  I think that will be key for me for the first 41 days ****il 5/19); not sure if you have that ability to separate yourself the same way.

As for hunger, yeah, I really worry I could eat as much as I used to...though, I don't really "feel" hungry, I also haven't felt "full" yet either.  My wife thinks that is because the hole may be too big and/or because it's all been liquids.  I'll ask my surgeon tomorrow.  I'm open to an endoscopy to take a look at the hole/measure my pouch.

Things I have been doing to help myself:

*  Tracking Food to the nth degree.  I list everything I eat/drink and measure it precisely.  I use an iPhone Application called "Lose It" and then track my ounces of fluids on a piece of paper (I put an X in a box for every ounce and I have 100 boxes per day... I make sure I get at least 64 X's).

* Writing down EVERY craving I have.  If I crave a cheese or fried chicken or a hot dog I write it down... even if it's already written down.  When I'm at day 42 and I want to start trying new foods I will review my list and ensure I give everything a fair chance.  This helps me get it off my mind and gives me something to look forward to (I know avocado and chicken are on there many times so those will be early tries).

* Writing down my weight every day (recording it in the iPhone App and on Paper).  I'm down 8.6 pounds so far.  I know there will be stalls and that's okay (in fact, a couple days ago I went up a full pound).  I have a goal to lose 160#'s, but I'd be okay with 120#'s too.  Even at a 3# per week average I would hit my goal in a year and I've been told to expect it to take 18 months (or 2 pounds a week).

*  Realizing that unless I really work at it, I have to be better off than before I tried this path.  I figure that I'd really have to work at it to get the same amount of calories.  And, for me, it was never about the number of times I ate so much as the quantity I would eat.  My biggest problem was the huge meals I would consume - especially at night - and the sodas (I would drink eight 20oz sodas a day)... I know that sodas will never be on the menu again.

The only thing I did to prepare beside the support system around me was to stop drinking caffeine before the surgery... I think that was very helpful (no headache).  Though, admittedly, I think that one of the benefits I have now that you may not be using is the pain meds every 4-6 hours... I take 7.5mg Hydrocodone every 6 hours like clockwork.  About 30 minutes after is when I have the most energy (will go for a walk or move about) and about 1.5 hours after is when I "crash" and can sleep.  I do need to get that under control and take it less frequently soon... I'm nearly out of my bottle, though, I am going to ask for a refill tomorrow as it really helps.

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes, please keep sharing your results too - I really appreciate it.

Todd

JJ0609
on 4/16/14 9:59 pm

Congratulations to you both! It is nice that you found each other and have created a friendship already due to your surgeries. Right now you need each other because you need someone who understands what you are going through. That is where OH comes in! We are all here. Please continue to post and someone will answer and support you. Good luck to both of you as you make this journey to the new you. WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH! Remember follow your doctor's guidelines, drink your water, get in your protein, take your vitamins, and exercise as much as possible. You've got this! TAKE CARE!    

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

iPhoneTodd
on 4/17/14 10:37 am

Thank you JJ, it is nice to find someone with the same surgery date and wonderful to see so many others that have experience we can draw upon.  I look forward to participating as I continue my journey.

Fireed
on 4/16/14 10:46 pm

Thank you so much.  I really appreciate you chatting with me.  Good luck today.  

AK_Gipson
on 4/16/14 10:17 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

I am 3 days out and struggle with getting in any fluids let alone protein. I have read on this site to measure everything, because you won't "feel" any restriction, or possible fullness, until your nerve endings in you stomach have healed. 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

iPhoneTodd
on 4/17/14 10:39 am

AK, hang in there, I'm sure it'll get better (I didn't really try to get much in fluids until day 4/5).  My doctor confirmed today that not feeling "fullness" this early/while on liquid diet is not unusual.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 463 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views