suggestions on eating more

new_me180
on 4/17/14 2:36 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Well the thing is i'll be six months out next week and i barely make 600 cals a day. Protein wise i'm just under 60g, 5 out of 7 days and at 6 months, I think i should be doing more. I seem to run out of time to eat during the day and I can never finish a meal. I don't work and I have all day to plan my menu but, for some reason, i can never fit in all the food no matter how hard i try. I feel so full after a few bites and have to force myself to eat at least half to three quarters of my meal. I'm just worried this low cal intake will slow my weight loss plus, i'm not getting in enough protein as much as i'd like. I feel good lately as i've been in and out of hospital quite a bit since surgery. I exercise 5 days a week and keep my self busy. The NUT told me not to worry about cals but protein but at 1.5oz at main meals and 1oz at snack, it's pretty hard to get 60 g if i'm not eating the recommended 6 meals. I'm supposed to eat 6 small meals a day but, can only manage 5, sometimes 4. I meet up with the nurse, NUT and social worker next week for my 6 month visit and will be addressing this issue as well. Just asking for some advise from someone who has probably had issues eating required amount. Thanks.

poet_kelly
on 4/17/14 8:56 pm - OH

Add a protein shake for a snack.  You can easily get 200 calories and 30 grams of protein from a good protein shake, like one scoop or Unjury or Syntrax Nectar protein powder in one cup of skim milk.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

new_me180
on 4/18/14 5:34 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks, although to get to the high end of my calorie count, that's after i've eaten a protein bar or shake and i can't stomach more than one or the other more than once a day. The problems is most of the times i seem to not be able to finish a meal and i end up eating the rest at the next meal time, which in turns means i'm not adding any more calories, i'm just finishing of my left overs. I was just wondering if my counts are too low or should not worry too much about them.

poet_kelly
on 4/18/14 5:36 am - OH

Try adding a little more protein powder to your shake, which will up the calories and protein a little.  Try adding a little cheese to your refried beans or scrambled eggs or whatever.  You can also add a little protein powder to foods like pudding, yogurt, beans, etc.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pathchic
on 4/17/14 9:29 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

I add ground flaxseed to shakes (adds no flavor), ground chia seeds to yogurt (nutty flavor) and hemp hearts to things like tuna salad or chili/soup (barely noticeable, just a little nutty with a chewy texture).  Adds calories, protein, and fiber without adding bulk.  Usually I add a tablespoon, maybe two.  You can find them at health food stores, or order them from Amazon.  Good luck-

JJ0609
on 4/17/14 10:26 pm

If you drink a Muscle Milk Pro Series 40 Mint Chocolate Overload or Intense Vanilla they have 40 g of protein. I also recommend flaxseed on yogurts, tuna or salmon, string cheese or chili. Anything to get your protein in. You can do this!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

new_me180
on 4/18/14 5:41 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Isn't that high in calories? I can eat everything except yogurts, yuck! The problem seems to me i'm under eating because i can only eat a little at a time and trying to fit liquids in, i run out of time to eat during the day, lol. I just need to find a way of eating a little more at meal times to get my recommended amount of food in.

poet_kelly
on 4/18/14 9:28 am - OH

Have you  noticed you can eat more of some foods than others?  Like, you should be able to eat a lot more chili than steak.  Or more cottage cheese than tuna.  Focus on the foods you can eat larger amounts of if you need to.

new_me180
on 4/18/14 4:19 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I haven't really noticed tbh because they all fill me up the same. I can't eat any red meat until 6 months post op and I try to mix it up and be 'normal' as possible. If i had to choose, i'd say i can eat more tuna than chicken and i try to eat that more like at lunch and and for snack. When i make turkey chilli, i can only manage 1/3 - 1/2 cup at a sitting and the NUT wants me to be at a cup of food for my main meals this far out.

new_me180
on 4/18/14 5:34 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks, i'll try some.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?