Surgery April 24

tgr1025
on 4/28/14 5:00 am

Hello. I just had my surgery on April 24. I am home resting comfortably.  My only complaint so far is the weakness I feel. I was prepared to be in a lot of pain and I was prepared to have to force myself to have protein and water, and I assumed I would be weak from having a major surgery. I just don't like how weak I am feeling. I don't know if I should just be laying in bed or on the couch resting or if I should be up and about doing stuff. I am not one to sit still for long but I get so weak when I am up and about. I feel guilty just sitting around, but if that is what I should be doing I will do it.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/28/14 7:22 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I don't think you should feel guilty about resting four days after major surgery. You may not like it, but it is what it is: you are going to feel weak and "under the weather" for a little bit. Everyone is different, so no one can predict for you how long it will last, but I think the best advice for you is to take it as easy as you think you should. Listen to your body, if it tells you it's time to rest, then rest! Nap if you think it will help. Remember that while you have tiny little incisions on the outside, your surgeon has been playing cat's cradle with your innards. This takes time to get over.

Rest, drink fluids, work on getting in your protein. Walk when you can and feel up to it. All these things will help you feel stronger.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Daisydoo02
on 4/28/14 7:57 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi tgr, oh boy was I exhausted after surgery.  I didn't even know that level of exhaustion existed!!  I was so weak that to take a shower I would get dizzy and almost black out, my husband would not let me have a shower unless he was home and he would sit in the bathroom while I showered and make sure I was ok.  It was really brutal!  I slept a lot, forget napping, a nap is 30 mins to an hour, I full on slept.  I did a lot of walking around my house, back and forth down the hallway and then I would have a 2-3 hour sleep!  I did not get my energy bac****il about 2 months post op, and by 3 months post op I would say things were back to normal.  

Everyone is different, some people bounce right back and feel amazing but I just wanted to share that I was exhausted and I had a lot of conversations with myself about letting myself be tired, have a nap/sleep when needed and let my body heal and do what it needs to do.  I wish you best of luck and hope you feel better.

Daisy 

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

tgr1025
on 4/28/14 8:53 am

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to continue to rest and not worry about what needs to be done at home. I really want to feel good so I don't want to do anything that will delay that.

Manny32
on 4/28/14 11:02 am - miami, FL
RNY on 04/08/14

you are going to feel weak trust me lol  but it will get better  im 3 week out and i do feel normal right now , but back them oh boy i  walked for a while and went back to bed to sleep.

PS: once you are in the soft food phase like pudding , creamy soup , protein shake  you will start feeling better.

tdbull
on 4/28/14 1:25 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Well, congrats and welcome to the Loser's bench. I was super weak after surgery, and just kept sipping my clear protein drinks, walking as much as I could, which typically only 5-10 minutes at a time several times a day, and also napping maybe 2-3 times a day. You went thru major surgery, and our bodies need to heal. Just take it easy and you'll feel better soon.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views