Doing the right things but scared that I won't lose the weight... is anyone else feeling nervous?

Blackbird1987
on 4/27/14 11:46 pm

I am officially 2mo and 3 days out of RNY surgery and everything is great! I make healthy choices and am walking and getting ready to join the gym! I have been reading everyone's stories of their personal journey and have researched others on the web or through documentaries and books and I am really scared that I am not going to lose the weight! I am not sure if this is just hormonal worries or what... but I wanted to hear some thoughts from the crowd. 

I started my journey at 305lbs which was my highest weight ever. I am down to 245 so I have lost 60lbs and I don't drink carbonated drinks, no sugar, no fast food, I love veggies and fruits and have been trying to get my protein up each day with chicken and various lean meats so I THINK I am doing everything great, but I am so scared that for some reason I won't shed the weight?! My nutritionist said I am doing well and I attend a weekly support group but I see all of these people who lost 100lbs or more in the first 6 months or so and I worry that I won't hit my goal. I still want to lose another hundred pounds at least. I have been overweight my entire life and I guess I have a fear that I had this wonderful surgery and have made all of these life changes and what if for me it doesn't work? 

Has anyone else felt this way? Any advice? This is a very emotional journey and I am determined to succeed but just scared.

Thank you for reading, please let me know your thoughts. 

Cunning_Pam
on 4/28/14 12:02 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm not nervous I won't lose the weight. I'm terrified of it.

Every day I think that I'm going to fail. I worry about each and every thing I put in my mouth, to the point that sometimes I get nauseated at the thought of eating just because I'm so anxious about it. I try to use my feelings to fuel my resolve, but it's not always easy, and the little monkey on my back keeps whispering in my year "You can't do it. You'll fail, just like every other time you've tried. You haven't done it yet, what makes you think you can now?" and I have to remind myself that this time is different because I have a pouch, and not a stomach. This time I have all the guidance I need from my team (surgeon, PCP, dietician, etc.) and all I have to do is follow it.

The hardest part of all of this, I'm convinced, is what goes on between our ears and not in our digestive systems. It's a struggle every day to be confident and to follow the rules, but it's a struggle that (so far) I've been winning. The only advice I can give, based on my experience, is to BELIEVE in yourself and rely on your team. Easier said than done, I know, but if you (we) keep at it I'm confident that new, healthier habits and thought patterns can be formed and followed.

"One day at a time" isn't just a saying for alcoholics, I think it can be an applicable mantra for many of us as well.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Blackbird1987
on 4/28/14 12:07 am

Thank you! Your heartfelt message is exactly what I needed today. It is good to know that I am not alone. You are an inspiration to me and I thank you for that immensely. I agree that I get down thinking about all of the fad dieting and workout plans that I had started and couldn't get to work right for me and when I think of the many hurtles of gaining and losing throughout my life that lead me here, I am scared out of my mind that this will fail. 

I know that this is a tool and that I can do it if I just keep my head up and the difference this time is that when I am doing the work, I will see the results like never before and I can keep it off! I guess I am realizing, just like I have to make the choice to eat healthy, I have to make the choice to think healthy too and to be positive. Thank you again friend. 

Cunning_Pam
on 4/28/14 12:34 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I guess I can add another piece of advice...come here for support! I've found it invaluable in my own journey.

You can do it!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

jefferytmc
on 4/28/14 12:27 am

You have lost 60 lbs in 2 months, that is 30 lbs a month, even if your loses trail off a bit, you are only 40 lbs from 100 down and 4 months to go.  So even if you lose only 10 lbs per month over the next 4 months, you still make 100 lbs by 6 months.

But even if you don't so what.  This is not a race, it is a journey.  Just keep doing what the surgeon said to do and you will lose weight (the surgery kind of guarantees that).  Where people mess up and do not lose it all or regain, is they quit doing what they are supposed to do.

This is a lifetime choice.  

1) Protein first for the rest of your life

2) 64+ oz of water a day for the rest of your life

3) veggies and fruit for the rest of your life

4) exercise regularly for the rest of your life

5) Track intake for the rest of your life

Some never get to goal or regain due to grazing, or eating foods that process quickly and so they are always hungry.  Make these changes a part of your life for the rest of your life and you will be fine.

That is not to say we can be complacent, but just build new habits.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Blackbird1987
on 4/28/14 12:58 am

Thank you Jeffery! 

The 100lbs is what I still need to lose, not counting the 60 lost already and but thank you! I appreciate your motivation and I know you are right, I am just worried but I will get through it, mind over matter! :) THank you! 

karenp8
on 4/28/14 12:34 am - Brighton, IL

I think we all feel like that. When I had my surgery August 29,2012 I set my original goal weight at 160 because I could not remember ever weighing that. Suffice it to say that I blew past that goal as I am at 120ish today! I never really envisioned a me that was a small person because I had been overweight my whole life. But if you follow directions of your doctor,eat healthy and exercise you will lose weight,just like I did. Now it would be impossible or nearly so to overeat like we did before. I use that fear now to help me stay on track and stay committed to my healthy lifestyle. I don't ever want to go back there for sure!!

Blackbird1987
on 4/28/14 1:00 am

WOW KAREN! WAY TO GO GIRL! That is AWESOME and definitely gives me so much motivation and inspiration! Thank you! I think that is phenomenal! Can I ask what your starting weight was or how much you lost total? How wonderful! :) 

karenp8
on 4/28/14 2:57 am - Brighton, IL

I started at 262 and lost 140 pounds. I went from a tight size 26 to an XS on tops and a size 0 or girls 14 in jeans.

Blackbird1987
on 4/28/14 3:14 am

WOW! WAY TO GO! That is phenomenal! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views