Going to meet my surgeon on Thursday!

kbb0185
on 4/28/14 12:19 am
RNY on 07/15/14

I have my first meeting with my surgeon on Thursday.  

So far I have done;

-gallbladder ultrasound

-psych appointment

-NUT appointment

-met with my primary 

I am hoping this will speed up the process a bit.  My NUT seems to think I'll be able to do this by the end of June/July.

I am planning on writing a list of questions for her.  Does anyone have any recommendations of what to ask on the first visit?  I ahve already gone to the informational session.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/28/14 12:32 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'd suggest that you ask what your surgeon's complication rate is, and how many people (if any) she's had die. (Note: This is not a rude question, you're going to be putting your life in this person's hands!) How she responds is very important, as are the actual figures. If the answers you get or the surgeon's attitude when responding make you feel at all uncomfortable, then listen to your gut. Do keep in mind though that even great surgeons can have patients with complications and even have patients who die, although it's very rare and can very well be because of the generally poor health of many WLS patients.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

kbb0185
on 4/28/14 12:41 am
RNY on 07/15/14

Oh I definitely plan on asking that.  I have spent a little too much time researching complications lately and it has been making me very anxious and emotional :(

They did touch on the deaths in the seminar, they said that they have had a few, but they were on people that had had previous abdominal surgery, so now they have a requirement that they will not operate on people that have had abdominal surgery before.

They are a Center of Excellence, not sure how much that means.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics