First Appointment with Surgeon

Michelle2014
on 4/29/14 12:14 pm

I'm scheduled for my first appointment with my surgeon on Thursday, what should I expect at this appointment?  What questions should I ask?

Daisydoo02
on 4/29/14 9:43 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

My appt with the Surgeon was all of 2 minutes long!  I actually met with his Nurse first that took about 20 minutes, she went over all my medical history and asked if I had any questions, took my BP.  Then the Surgeon's Intern came in and she went over the details of the actual surgery, the length, what they will do, who will be in the OR, what I can expect will happen when I wake up, the risks of surgery, the she asked if I had any questions.  

I asked about the anaesthesia as I get very very sick from anaesthesia and I wanted to know how they were going to deal with that.  I asked for a letter from the Doctor stating I would be off 4-6 weeks from work so that I could hand that into my HR dept at work. I really didn't have a lot of questions for the Surgeon because I was super prepared already, I had been going to Bariatic appts for a year with all the other interprofessionall team members (Dietician, Nutrition, Social Work, Nurse Practitioner) so it was really about picking up my Opti Fast, signing the consent forms, and getting my surgery date.  

Try searching OH with the magnifying glass in the top right corner on the blue banner and see what others have said they asked at their appts.  

Wishing you the best of luck, a very exciting time for you!

Daisy  

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Michelle2014
on 4/30/14 12:30 am

Thank you!  I'm so nervous. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 249 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views