Less than a week out and I'm starving...I think

dvolumptious1
on 4/29/14 7:53 am

Is it normal to be hungry after bypass just as recent as Friday? I was starving moreso when I got my band in 2009 on the liquid diet but I though I would have no appetite at all converting to bypass. I wonder if just mental bc when I distract myself, I lose the hunger pretty much...

poet_kelly
on 4/29/14 8:27 am - OH

It's probably  mental.  Drink something and then distract yourself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Showbiz7757
on 4/29/14 9:10 am

I would say it's not normal. I'm 4 months out and I do remember being hungry some but not much. What helped me was to measure my hunger. I would ask myself if my hunger was at a 1 or a 10, most the time I would say 1-3 and know it was just mental.

Kimberly K.
on 4/29/14 10:39 am
RNY on 03/21/14

I'm 5 weeks out and the closest I've come to hungry is feeling a little shaky, like I know I need to eat. Not really hunger.

Kim K.    

angel91e
on 4/29/14 2:42 pm, edited 4/29/14 2:43 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I was super hungry for the first three weeks after surgery and my surgeon told me that while it's somewhat uncommon it's completely normal until the nerves they cut during surgery heal for a patient not to be able to feel the full benefits of the restriction your pouch gives.  

Some tips that helped me were to be sure to wait the full 30 minutes before and after eating to have any liquid and to be sure you get in as much protein as possible.   

Its going to get easier so just stick to the plan and be sure to weigh all your food so you don't end up overeating and making yourself sick.

Angel

dvolumptious1
on 4/30/14 3:06 am

Thanks for the advice. Glad to know its mental. Too many food commercials. 

dani_g
on 4/30/14 8:03 pm - HI

Hi - I think I just went thru the same thing.  I was 6 days post surgery and I swear I was hungry.   I felt pretty good and pureed some fat free re-fried beans, soft cheese and some plain n/f greek yogurt. I am taking about 1/3 cup size amount total 3x in one day.  Well, I was hungry.  Things seemed ok for awhile.  Since the next morning I have had major diarrhea and felt like crap.  Yup.  Learned my lesson.  It wasn't worth the taste.  I still think I was actually hungry.  Can't be sure though.  I might have just been craving flavor.  Either way, I've spend 3 days on the potty and have finally got my stomach in a better place tonight.  I now dislike food in general.  Drinking lots of water to keep myself hydrated.  Following the instructions from my doc and nutritionist to a T now.  I did not have problems when I had my band placed - this is a totally new thing.  Don't stray off the given path - you will pay.  It was not worth it.  Mental or not - ignore it and remember why you are going through all of this to begin with and refocus.  Hope this helps someone not do the same as I did.  ~ Dani

dvolumptious1
on 4/30/14 10:30 pm

Thank you sooo much. Yesterday was better. My main temptation was to put something in my mouth and chew then spit it out but I was scared to do that. I have to let my body heal properly so I'm definitely sticking to the script. Glad you're ok now. 

dani_g
on 5/1/14 6:35 am, edited 5/1/14 6:36 am - HI

You are welcome.  I think I was craving the same flavor or texture as well.  We can do this!!!!!  I feel better too knowing I'm not crazy.  Have a great day!    Friend me if you like.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 64 views
Recent Topics