Going back to work

tpasun
on 4/30/14 1:45 am

I am planning a RNY within a couple months, and am so ready to have it done.  However.... my job, as an ER nurse is an active and somewhat physically demanding one.  Have any of you gone back to work where you're up and on your feet or active most of the day? How did you feel? How long before you went back? 

Caroline K.
on 4/30/14 1:56 am

My job is sedentary, and my surgeon recommended 4 weeks off. That being said, I had my surgery last Wednesday and feel really good. I could probably go back next week if I wanted, though I do occasionally get tired by mid-afternoon. For a physically demanding job, I'd think 4-6 weeks would be more likely.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/30/14 2:21 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I think it depends on the person. I'm a college teacher -- I am on my feet the whole time putting on a show like a clapping seal. I wear a fit monitor, and log in 6000 steps just during my work day. I returned at 2 weeks.  The first week I was very tired when I got home each day.  I was great after that.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

karenp8
on 4/30/14 2:46 am - Brighton, IL

I love your description of your job,Kathryn! What do you teach?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/30/14 3:59 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I teach anthropological linguistics, language acquisition and academic English to non-native speakers for the purpose of undergraduate and graduate admissions.  I love my job!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MichellesJourney
on 4/30/14 2:48 am
RNY on 04/09/14

I went back to work after 1 week.  I have a desk job.  My doctor recommended 4 weeks but I felt amazing so I went back.  

Kimberly K.
on 4/30/14 6:37 am
RNY on 03/21/14

I'm a nurse too and a former ER nurse. I now have a desk job--case management, which I love. Having had the surgery (5 weeks post op now) and having worked in a busy ER, I would suggest you take as much time off as you can. If you can take 6 weeks, take it. You will feel great much sooner than that but you and I both know that you are lucky if you get to pee or eat during a 12 hour shift. The work can be grueling and physical. If you take 6 weeks off you will have your eating and drinking routine figured out. While you are off, you can gradually increase your activity so you won't get your butt kicked when you go back to work. If you work twelves, maybe you could switch to 8 hr shifts for a couple weeks just to get your feet wet. I went back to a desk job after 3 weeks but could have easily gone back in 2. Don't ru**** though, your job is tough. Good luck fellow nurse!

Kim K.    

Mimoosmom
on 4/30/14 6:59 am
RNY on 12/04/13

I had RNY 12/4/13.  I'm a NICU nurse and work 12 hour shifts.  I returned to work 3 weeks out without any problems.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404