prednisone effects for us RNYers? sudden hearing loss treatment

takingcontrolguy
on 5/11/14 5:34 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

I've had a complete sudden loss of hearing in my right ear, been tested and the ENT has prescribed a 14 day prednisone treatment to stop the constant pressure and ringing and hopefully restore my hearing.  I've researched and this is the most common and effective treatment for this problem.  I advised that I had RNY 5 months ago and ENT was not concerned as this is a 2 week treatment, not long term.  Has anyone ever taken steroids and have there been any issues as a result?  Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 5/11/14 6:09 am - OH

Yeah, I've taken short courses of steroids.  The ASMBS recommends avoiding NON-steroidal anti-inflammatories, not steroids.  They are two different things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Silverbelle69
on 5/11/14 8:28 am - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

I was given what my PCP said was a relatively low dose of prednisone The first pill I took pretty much rendered me useless.  The people working close to me said I was suddenly unresponsive.  I work in a nursing home so I had nurses all over me within seconds.  My vitals were OK but all I could do was put my head down.  They called my husband and he came and picked me up.  I had a hard time getting off the curb and into his truck.  The next day I was fine, and my PCP told me to discontinue the prednisone.     Your mileage may vary. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/11/14 9:28 am

Like with everything - watch for unusual sides effects.  Even short treatment with steroids may have side effects, like upset pouch, extra acid, etc.  Make sure you Tate them as prescribed - most of the time steroids are recommended to take with food.  

Good luck., 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 5/11/14 10:24 am - Warren, OH

The key is immediate treatment.  I had sudden hearing loss two years ago and had steroid injections directly into the ear.  I have had no problems with RNY and steroids.  If I do something that would have been treated with Advil before, I now get steroid treatments.  Example, putting my back out trying to lift a heavy bed frame.

My ENT laughed about this when I asked, but I also purchased an Ear Popper from Amazon.com at a cost of about $200.00.  It has given me unbelievable relief from the pressure and ringing.

There is a Catholic saint who was canonized because of her miracles with restoring hearing.  Research Saint Katherine Drexel.  A fascinating story, whatever your beliefs are.  Sudden hearing loss is a tough diagnosis, so glad you are being treated.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Bibo
on 5/15/14 11:49 am

I have had to take prednisone as a post op for asthma, and I had an ulcer..not good. Fortunately, I take it at the same time, basically, that I take my PPI, and carafate, and otherwise a short course of it did not really cause any other problems for me. I got the liquid kind. It seemed a bit easier on my pouch, and take it with a little meal

goddessgrrl
on 5/15/14 12:22 pm - VA

Hi Leesburg! I'm in Ashburn!

I had sudden hearing loss in my left ear and so many ENTs saw me, tested me, wanted to give me steroids, etc. It was driving me crazy (ringing, feeling like there was fluid in there, etc.). Guess what? I had ONE wisdom tooth that hadn't been pulled when I was a teenager. It was… on the left side of my mouth. I went to the dentist. She asked me if I had been having trouble with my hearing in that ear. I was stunned. I told her the story. She said, Get this tooth out NOW. I had the tooth pulled. BINGO! 100% restoration of my hearing in my left ear, and NO RINGING. Overnight.

Of course everyone is different, but I would definitely go to the dentist and have this checked out. I have always been religious about going to the dentist for cleaning and checkup every 6 months my whole life. Evidently, between visits an abscess had developed in that wisdom tooth and I had no pain but it had affected my ear!

Best of luck to you!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

takingcontrolguy
on 5/16/14 11:05 pm - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

Hello goddessgrl in ashburn!  That's an interesting story - fortunately I had all my wisdom teeth removed years ago.  It turns about the sterioids are really no problem and the best news is that I woke up on Thursday morning (day 5 of treatment) and ringing started to subside.  Today (Saturday) it's still there but barely and I feel like I've recovered most of my hearing although not all.  I haven't experienced any of the side effects I was warned about and no weight gain!! Thanks for your comments!

Honeytwirl
on 5/16/14 11:52 pm

I had this exact treatment when it was considered brand  new - over 22 years ago.  My sudden hearing loss came on shortly after pregnancy and I have dealt with other relatively minor auto-immune issues over my lifetime (I am 53).   My father, grandmother, and I have all suffered with "Meniere's ear"  and my hearing loss was probably part of that.  The prednisone did arrest my hearing loss back then, but I honestly do think that it contributed to my later weight gain -  for me pretty much just four or five pounds per year over the past 20 years.  I felt "weird" probably after the 2nd pill.  I would take prednisone again, no question, because it had the desired result, but you should be aware of the side effects.  I think that I could have mitigated the weight gain if I would have just been informed and didn't let it get out of hand.

Do your own research and talk to/question your doctor. Best of luck and blessings to you!

Alex8899
on 1/31/21 7:05 am, edited 1/30/21 11:05 pm

Yes, prednisone treatment is the most common treatment for patients with unilateral idiopathic sudden hearing loss and additional symptoms (dizziness or tinnitus). When I started experiencing tinnitus, I also received such treatment (it helped me a lot together with a Serenade tonal treatment). But I want to stress that only hearing aid audiologists should prescribe this medication for ear ringing, so don't use it without a doctor's recommendation.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?