Okay, so what is a realistic expectation for weekly weightloss?

TempiB
on 5/12/14 3:08 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

At 7 weeks out, what is a realistic expectation for weekly weight loss in your opinion? 

poet_kelly
on 5/12/14 3:18 am - OH

Anywhere from zero to five pounds, probably.  It will almost certainly not be the same every week.  My surgeon said to expect three to five pounds per week in the beginning, but that might be nothing one week, two pounds the next week, six pounds the next week, three pounds the next week, one pound the next week, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

healthyme1963
on 5/12/14 5:23 am
RNY on 03/18/14

I am 8 weeks post-op and have been consistently losing 2.5 - 3 pounds per week since leaving the hospital.  This isn't as much weight loss as some, but I was considered a 'smaller' patient (my starting weight was 276 and I was 252 on the day of surgery), so I expect to lose at a slightly slower rate than some.  I am very happy with this pace.

I think a lot has to do with your starting weight, daily caloric intake and activity/exercise level.  I will start going to the gym and pool this week, so maybe I'll lose a little bit more each week now.

Good luck with your program; I wish you great success! 

Life is short, break the RULES, FORGIVE quickly, KISS slowly, LOVE truly, LAUGH uncontrollably, & NEVER REGRET anything that made you SMILE.  

TempiB
on 5/12/14 7:57 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

I was averaging about 7 pounds a wee****il these last three weeks and I have had a 1lb, 1.5lb and 2lb loss respectively. 

I'm not "smaller".  I had about 170lbs to lose.  I think I just expected to have consistently higher weekly weight loss at first since I have so much to lose.  I've just been a little surprised that it has slowed down this much this soon. 

BUT I guess any downward trend is a good thing.  Have you been tracking calories?  If so, how many a day are you getting?

healthyme1963
on 5/12/14 8:29 am
RNY on 03/18/14

I average 700-800 calories a day, give or take.  It's very possible you've just hit a dreaded stall.  Have you thought about changing up your exercise routine and/or your diet.  I hear that those two things can help kick start the loss again.  People have said to up water intake and make sure you're getting enough protein as they say not enough protein can cause weight loss to slow down.

A lot of different things have worked for different people.  I guess trying any one of those suggestions might help.  I just know for me, if I want to lose faster, I should probably incorporate more exercise into my daily routine (which is why I'll be hitting the gym regularly from now on ).

Life is short, break the RULES, FORGIVE quickly, KISS slowly, LOVE truly, LAUGH uncontrollably, & NEVER REGRET anything that made you SMILE.  

RNYGuyPA
on 5/12/14 7:22 am
RNY on 12/27/13

At 4.5 months out, I'm averaging about 3 pounds a week.  I've had a few weeks with no loss and a few weeks with 5 pounds lost.  still on the honeymoon.

6' 2"     HW: 405      SW: 352      CW: 276      GW: 225

Trendweight

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Laura in Texas
on 5/12/14 11:32 am

After the initial 2 months, my surgeon said that a 10 pound loss per month was what he was expecting.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

TempiB
on 5/13/14 12:13 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

Okay, so 2.5lbs on average is probably reasonable.  That helps.  Thanks.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 287 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics