Stall or normal?

Lauren_W
on 5/13/14 2:30 am
RNY on 04/21/14

I am 3 weeks post op. It took me 2-1/2 weeks to lose 25 pounds. Now I have been stuck at the same weight for 5 days. Has anybody had this happen? It is bringing me down.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/13/14 2:32 am

Please search "Three Week Stall". This is very common. Weight loss tends to go in a stair step pattern rather than a sharp downward line.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

poet_kelly
on 5/13/14 3:28 am - OH

It's normal.  Stalls are normal, too, but no weight loss for just five days isn't a stall, in my mind.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jpm
on 5/13/14 5:00 am

Lauren~
We must be close to the same surgery date.  Mine is 04/21/14.  I have dropped 26 pounds but when I hopped on the scale yesterday I had dropped 0.02 pounds.  I have heard alot about the 2/3 week stall so I am just going with it.  I have increased my protein more and making sure I hit the fluids mark.  I will see what happens next week.  I figure my body is trying to adjust to the lower calorie intake and holding on to everything it can get. I am also going to pick p my activity level next week once I see my knee dr and he gives me my injections in my knees so I am not in pain when walking.  Keep up the good work and just think 25 pounds in 2 weeks use to be 3 months of weight loss before.

Jaq

Lauren_W
on 5/13/14 6:39 am
RNY on 04/21/14

Yes, we have the same surgery date. Thanks for the encouragement. I am feeling better about it.

cabin111
on 5/14/14 8:57 am

Below is a copy and paste from DX...very knowledgeable man.  It might help.  He had said after WLS it is like decending stairs...

Still staying on-track calorie-wise? And the scale shows you stopping? Or Even Gaining?!?!?--Re-Post Unsolicitedadvice/info… -------------------------------------- Pull back from your ‘daily’ charting, and look at a weekly or even monthly. There are up and down spikes each day, But if you ‘graph’ the highest to the lowest, I’d bet there is still A downward slope over the course of the month. There’s an 8 to 10lb. volume of "wiggle room" due to water alone. And it comes into play a lot. This has to do with our bodies using glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, But it is stored in our muscles for quick energy – One pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, And the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, (Like when you drop down to your calorie intake) Your body turns first to stored glycogen, Which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, You also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it Voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of any diet. As you stay in caloric deficit, however, Your body starts to ‘realize’ that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue And burning fat for energy. But your body also ‘realizes’---- (by way of your liver releasing hormones signaling low Cal intake) ---That fat can't be used for short bursts of energy – Like, to outrun a saber-tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, And rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, (Thus showing negative Calorie load overall) Your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while As you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored. Yes? The whole ‘weight-loss’ process is not a straight "Slide" down the scale. More like "Stair-Steps," (Down then forward, then down, then forward, etc... As your body cycles fat out of "deep storage" and through the Liver Into the muscles as Glycogen. The muscles and Liver can hold about a 3 weeks supply. This is why many people find that their "Stall" or "Plateau" Breaks when adding a bit of exercise And upping their water intake, or in the case of an "extreme exerciser," The total Calorie or Protein Intake, To signal the liver to let go of more Glycogen. Fear not, many people who are now enjoying life at a normal BMI Once had a few weeks or so of thinking- "...my weight loss has been awfully slow, has it stopped..."? Hope this helps some. You are doing Great! Keep it Up! Best Wishes-Mike Wazowski Dx

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 330 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?