Husband / Wife surgery - any advice?

Mimi2Konnor
on 6/13/14 11:07 am
RNY on 06/03/14

I know in the past I have heard from some of you where both you and your spouse had surgery.  I had my RNY on June 3rd and my husband goes in on Monday (6/16) for his surgery!  I have done so well and have recuperated quickly and my husband is really excited about going in for his surgery and joining me on the loser's bench.  I am just wondering what advice or info you might have for us as we begin this journey together.  

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

rishow80
on 6/13/14 3:13 pm

I haven't had surgery yet(several months away), but I just want to say I think that is awesome you both are on the same journey.  Myself and my brother in-law are having surgery a few months apart and we are both trying to get my husband(his brother) more proactive about looking into wls for his self. He is stubborn and determined to do it on his own. (more power to him if he can do it)  But any how, Congrats, and have fun restarting a new healthy life together.

~Take a second chance, give a second chance~

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

White Dove
on 6/14/14 12:05 am - Warren, OH

You are doing something together that is exciting.  It is also going to add certain stresses to your marriage.  You will both have times when you will need to be helpful and supportive of each other.  You most likely will have times when you will both need to have patience with the other.

Remember that this is a journey.  Few people make it all the way to the end without some slip-ups and bad days along the way.  Have love and patience for each other.  You have the advantage of being able to prepare weight loss friendly meals and not have a spouse who feels he is being deprived by your weight problem.

Along with the excitement and fun, go into this with the attitude that you will keep your marriage intact no matter what happens.  Both of you will need that commitment.  It will be a great journey with some unique challenges along the way, so stay strong and committed to each other.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

tgr1025
on 6/15/14 10:50 am

My husband and I  had surgery the same day. We have went through every stage together so I think it has been easier than it would have been had we not done it at the same time. There is no competition between us. I know that men generally lose faster so I don't let that get me down.

maboots
on 6/16/14 2:27 am
maboots
on 6/16/14 2:35 am

Hello ... I had my surgery in May of 2009 and my husband in March 2012.  Although we had our surgeries 2 1/2 years apart it was a GREAT experience for both of us.  It made it much easier to do it together.  We are also recent empty nesters, so that made shopping/planning much easier for us as well.  You can be great support to each other.  For me I found it very helpful, because he was able to understand how I was feeling and my experiences prior to him having surgery.  We had very similar experiences.  Good luck on your journey together!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics