How to get Mentally Prepared?

kbb0185
on 6/15/14 11:11 pm
RNY on 07/15/14

I have my surgery date set for July 11th.  I start my pre-op two week liquid diet on 07/27, 11 days away.  I have been going through some food mourning, and am just trying to mentally prepare for what is ahead.  It has all come so fast, I went to my first seminar on April 9th, and surgery is 3 months later.  Don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful, but so many things are going to change I'm trying to get my head in the game so to speak.

What are some things I can do in the next 11 days to really get ready?  I am cutting out all alcohol until then, and trying to replace one meal a day with a protein shake to ease into it.  Any other suggestions?

Eno
on 6/16/14 12:20 am - ocala, FL

My surgery date is the 24th of this month.. i have one week left i replaced my morning and lunch with a shake and i eat something small for dinner.. its been a strong 2 weeks but im getting there Saturday, Sunday, Monday i have the clear liq diet only im going to GO NUTS!! I cut out soda and tea strickly water.. every time i see something i want i think of my surgery and also i cant gain not even one pound before surgery or he will not do it so i think of that and i dont eat it.. strong will lol its hard but you can do it.. good luck

Lucy S.
on 6/16/14 12:22 am
RNY on 03/18/14 with

If you can, I would start seeing a therapist to talk out all the change that is going to happen. You'll hear it said here often, that they don't do surgery on your brain. If you have the option, seeing a therapist to work through your food issues that got you here as well as to deal with the dramatic changes that come after surgery, it could really make your journey a little smoother. I did intensive group therapy for binge eating disorder before surgery and I really think it has made post-surgery life so much more manageable. And now I see a therapist a couple times a month just to talk through all the crazy things that losing 50lbs in three months does to your brain. Take all the time and energy you can for yourself during this time!!

HW: 263  CW:245  GW: 140 

kbb0185
on 6/16/14 12:25 am
RNY on 07/15/14

Yes I have been seeing a therapist for two months now every two weeks, which always makes me feel better.

I have a two year old at home and work full time, so it's tough to carve out any time for myself, but I am making it a priority.

Eno
on 6/16/14 2:20 am - ocala, FL

I have the same problem like you i have a 3 year old that only wants the good stuff lol. But i work full time so it goes with him to the babysitter

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/14 3:08 am

walk  walk walk as much as you can.  That should improve circulation and it would be a habit after surgery..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/14 4:07 am
RNY on 12/16/13

Congrats on moving forward!  You are off to a great start by taking out alcohol and replacing a meal with a protein shake.  I also stopped all diet soda and caffeine, walked as much as I could, practiced sipping, put the water glass away at dinner, etc.  I spent time studying my program's binder, especially the sections on food progression, and made sure that I had a variety of items in the house so that I would be set when I got home from surgery.  I also had some small food funerals - chocolate and potato chips.  I have not missed either since I had my surgery in December.

MickeyDee
on 6/18/14 6:10 pm

Clean out your cupboards;  take out all the pasta, rice, potatoe s, bread, and gift them to someone else.  it's so much easier to deal with temptation when you don't have those things in the kitchen.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 280 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics