One Week Out, No Weight Loss, Drinking Too Much?

Happy78
on 6/18/14 12:19 am

I am one week out. Stopped the pain meds a few days ago and am mainly just sore and a little tired. I walked 1.3 miles this morning. I am getting on average 80 grams of protein a day, and drag a bottle of crystal lite water with me everywhere. First, I have not lost a pound! I keep reading about people losing 20lbs or 10lbs in their first week - I am eating almost nothing - how can I not have lost anything? Second, I am trying to sip, but if I wanted to guzzle the water I could - I don't feel anything so I am worried I have drank too much and stretched my pouch. Also, I swear I felt a little hungry last night. I thought we were not going to get hungry but it was actual hunger, not head hunger. I am scared. What if I am in some percentage of people where RNY does not work? Why haven't I lost any weight? why can I swallow everything so easily? I am getting really worried (and a bit worked up).

Patm
on 6/18/14 12:24 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

First of all relax. YOu would not of stretched your pouch. It is still healing. Yes you can feel hunger. Have you had a bowel movement? Did you lose a lot of weight pre-surgery? Sometimes these things alsong with the fact your body just went through major surgery can slow your start

jazzycatz
on 6/18/14 12:29 am - Joppa, MD

Ok take a deep breath. You know that it is pretty much impossible for anyone to take in so few calories and not lose weight. Your body has to burn your fat to keep you going.

As far as not feeling anything you won't for a bit. That's one of the reasons it's important to eat measured quanities. It is also almost (if not completely) impossible to stretch your pouch with liquids. It's like a little funnel and they just pass through. Just like a funnel if it fills up faster than it is draining you'll know.

Not losing in the first week is also not unheard of here. You are pumped with fluids in the hospital as well as the gas. It's probably liquids.

It may have felt like real hunger but it was most probably head hunger at this phase of the game. You are a week out from a major surgery. Your body is still trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it. Give yourself a break.

Just keep getting your fluids in (without guzzling please) and eating your protein. You'll lose weight.

karenp8
on 6/18/14 12:40 am - Brighton, IL

Most people do not lose anything the first week. I came home from the hospital 10 pounds heavier from all the IV fluids and it took several weeks to even get down to my pre surgery weight. You will not feel full at this stage because liquids flow right out of the pouch. Now is the time to stop fretting over the scale and focus instead on following your doctors instructions. Measure your foods,keep drinking and keep up the walking. This is NOT like all your other attempts to lose weight. This time you have a tool to help you feel full sooner. I promise you will get there,but it won't be overnight. I started out over 260 pounds and had been obese my whole life. Today I am 21.5 months out from my surgery and weigh120.4 pounds. Follow the rules and success is yours too! Relax and enjoy the journey!

Happy78
on 6/18/14 12:46 am

thanks everyone. I am just worried something must be wrong and every little thing is worrying me. It doesn't help that I am still at home at have time to worry. I think I am going to have to do something with my scale. I see my doctor Monday, hopefully I will lose a few pounds by then.....

poet_kelly
on 6/18/14 2:26 am - OH

You can't stretch your pouch with water. 

You can swallow things easily because you are not having any complications and they didn't operate on your throat, after all.  Most people can swallow things easily.  Did you expect to have trouble swallowing? 

Many people don't lose anything the first week.  In fact, most come home from the hospital weighing more than when they went in, due to all the IV fluids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Denise2200
on 6/18/14 6:43 am

After my surgery, I was 12 lbs HEAVIER than when I went into the hospital.  They said that it was all the IV fluids and swelling from the surgery.  I held that weight for about 2 weeks before seeing any loss on the scale.  However, at 4 weeks, I had lost not only that 12 lbs, but 25 lbs down from pre-surgery weight.  Don't worry about not losing weight right away...as they say, everyone is different.  You can't gage your weight loss by someone else's. 

As for the rest, I can't really help you there because I am 2 months out and still having trouble getting in enough protein and fluids because of that feeling of food (and sometimes even fluids) just hitting and sitting there or making me throw up.  My surgeon says that's normal though and can last up to 3 months.  I don't really get that 'hungry' feeling either, unless I forget to eat for several hours. 

I don't think it's possible to have stretched your pouch that much in such a short period of time.  Your body is still adjusting.  Don't freak out too much right now.  You will have to relearn how to read your body and the feelings you get in regards to your stomach, hunger, etc.  Stay calm and just heal! :-) 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics