Update: Devastated

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 9:57 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Hi Everyone:

I was scheduled to have my surgery on Wednesday, November 12,2014 at 9:30 a.m.   I followed my liquid diet to the tee; I lost a total of 15 pounds in 12 days (shocked).  Arrived at the hospital 2 hours prior to surgery to be prepped; Dr. Halmi came in and talked to me and my husband and they injected some medicine in my IV to help me relax prior to rolling me into the operating room, all I remember at that point was being asked to scoot over to the operating table and when I awaken in the recovery room, I was in pain and asked for some pain medicine (which they injected into my IV) not to mentioned that I had a pain pump which I am still walking around with; my mouth was extremely dry and Dr. Halmi appeared to tell me that after he opened me up 4 small incisions, he could not perform the repair of the hiatal hernia, nor perform the RNY, and he could not remove any of my adhesions/scar tissue because the scar tissue was so bad I would have died or bled to death.  

I was devastated; all I could think of was how I had given up everything I loved in the 12 days so that my liver would shrink and nothing would interfere with my surgery; I was so hysterical that he could not talk to me instead he went out and spoke with my husband for over 30 minutes about the surgery and why he could not perform the RNY.

I know many of you reading this is/are probably saying "you should be glad he cared enough to sew you back up and did not perform the surgery" and you are probably right now that I have had time for all of this to sink in.  The funny part is on the way to the hospital I had a premonition that something was going to go wrong, but I never thought it would be that I would not have the surgery.  I even asked through the tears why didn't he just do the sleeve if he couldn't do the RNY?    The only thing he managed to get out was we will come up with another alternative and he will discuss it with me on Monday, November 17, in his office.

I have to spend the whole weekend in pain with a pain pump as if I had the surgery with dry mouth, a sore throat and horrible gas pain for no reason......I do not mean to sound ungrateful but I am totally devastated that things did not go as planned.

BTW - I am not look for a pity party; so please do not reply to this posting with mean comments - I do not think I could deal with them right now.

Thanks for listening.....Roz

cspotrun
on 11/14/14 10:06 am
RNY on 07/01/14

That is just awful, and I'm so sorry.  I can't imagine much worse.  I'm glad you're alive and didn't bleed to death, but this outcome is definitely not what any of us would ever hope for.  I truly hope you get some good options on Monday.  Are you home now?  Be kind to yourself....you have just been through a lot.

Karen   

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 10:21 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Thank you Karen, yes I am home...I was discharged after I spent 2 hours in recovery.  You are right this was definitely not the outcome I was expecting....I am so shocked that none of this was discovered during all of the pre-op testing I had to go through. While reading the lastest posting of all the things everyone said they are doing or did prior to their upcoming surgery, I can totally relate; I prepared (cooked most of my Thanksgiving fixins, and froze them); cleaned my home from top to bottom and cooked a few meals for my husband so he wouldn't dirty up my kitchen doing my hospital stay (LOL)!  I just can't believe it - I am still in shock.

cspotrun
on 11/14/14 10:25 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I bet it all seems surreal.  I just gotta believe the surgeon will have had time to think about it, maybe even discuss with a colleague, and offer you some solution Monday.

Karen   

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 10:33 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Yes Karen it is definitely surreal.... I am trying to stay positive and not go back to my old eating habits - my goal is to continue eating as if I was preparing for the surgery so that I can lose more weight while I find out what the next plan of action is.....I pray you are right and they offer me a GREAT solution on Monday.

Thanks again

Chilipepper
on 11/14/14 10:21 am

Did you previously have abdominal surgery?  Where are the adhesions and scar tissue coming from?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 10:26 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Chilipepper;

Yes, I did and that is what my doctor and I discussed prior to the surgery, he would remove any or some of the scar tissue which was one of the 3 things that were to occur during my (RNY) surgery....this is why I am so shocked that he did not do anything when he looked inside - he made the 4 incisions (as I can see and from what he stated) looked around and closed me up.

knolmom
on 11/14/14 10:26 am

I am certain that your surgeon, now that he has seen what he has to deal with, will come up with a new surgical plan, and if he cannot do it he will send you to someone who can. Until most recently, it was not unusual to have weight loss surgery broken down into 2 or 3 separate events to minimize the risk to the patient. Their is always a safer way for a surgeon to do things now that he has the" lay of the land". Best Wishes to you and I will be looking for you here on the boards. Please do not stop posting due to this setback, which I am sure will be temporary.

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 10:29 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Thank you Knolmom:

I will definitely update this status after my visit with him on Monday; I am praying that this setback is just temporary too.

lovedbymany09
on 11/14/14 10:31 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

I am so sorry to hear that...I can only imagine the disappointment you are going through. I hope you can get everything taking care of and have your weight loss surgery. Prayers for you!! 

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 471 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 413 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 88 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?