No restiction

Poodlemac
on 11/22/14 11:15 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

all of a sudden, as of yesterday, I feel zero restriction!!  What the he!!?  I can drink liquids, gulp them in fact. I have had terrible problems with liquids since surgery. I felt zero restriction with dinner, which was chicken and broccoli Atkins meal. I caught myself eating like I did before wls. What's the deal??  I do not like this!

cspotrun
on 11/22/14 11:22 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Liquids should go through you because they pass right through the stoma (since we don't have a pyloric valve anymore).  The fact that you can now drink easily is a good thing.  It's a relief to be able to get liquids in without trouble and I think that happens when the swelling has decreased and healing is well on its way.

As far as the atkins meal, I've never had one, but you probably want to measure out your serving before eating to avoid overeating.  And eat the chicken first because the dense protein really will fill you up.  At your stage I could eat about 1/3 cup, some can eat 1/2 cup.  If you measure it, you won't be in danger of overeating.

Don't worry, I'm sure your restriction is still there.  But you still have to follow the guidelines for quantity.  And some days are bigger pouch days for me, while others I feel like I can hardly eat.  

Karen   

SkinnyScientist
on 11/22/14 11:33 pm, edited 11/22/14 11:34 pm

What the person above me said about liquids going through, is correct.

Some other thoughts.

First, your nerves in your stomach may still be healing.  You may be stretching your pouch/stoma and not be feeling it. A lot of the vets talked about how they felt restriction many months AFTER surgery MORE than shortly after surgery. I think ****rogirl and LadyHeidi were the two that mentioned that. I would speak with them.

Now-this is where it gets to be a BIG mind game with you. Even though you dont feel restriction, you MUST stick to the portions/weights dictated by your surgeon. Still follow the directions although you still dont have stomach cues. It is hard and requires displine...but it MUST be done.

Also consider changing the density of your food. The chicken is pretty dense put cooked broccoli might not be.

For example, cottage cheese and fresh tomatoe (lots of water in there) slide right on through me and do not hold me or give me a satisfied/restricted/contented feeling.

However, a hard boiled egg and a baby pepper (raw) stuffed with hummus (more protien) is actually TOO much for me.  I end up eating half fo the egg and all of the stuffed mini-pepper.

Stick to the proportions and try other food densities.

Good luck

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/23/14 1:31 am, edited 11/23/14 3:40 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Was it the chicken and broccoli alfredo meal by Atkins?  That is 9 oz of food.  That is definitely more than I would feel comfortable eating at 10.75 months out.  I weigh all my food -- I eat 3.5 to 4 oz at at a time.  Considering that there are 330 Calories in that meal, I am assuming there is quite a bit of alfredo liquid in it... thus maybe a few oz are liquid that passes through the stoma easily? I have been able to drink liquids quickly from about 5/6 weeks out.  

edited for verb agreement.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/23/14 2:00 am

Imo - Atkins meals are heavily processed food with more fat.  Fat makes that for more like a slider food. I can eat that and then some. But real chicken, cooked by me - 4-6 oz and i am full. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 11/23/14 12:02 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Can I ask you a question Kat? when you say weigh 3.5oz to 4oz are you talking scale weighing or measuring cup? Do you weigh veggies too? I do weigh my meat but I was just wondering.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/23/14 7:44 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Of course you can!  I actually weigh most foods (dense) on a scale.  I measure only soft foods (like yogurt). I don't tend to weigh veggies-- I usually measure them because they're an afterthought to the dense protein. My whole food amount usually is a total of 4 to 4.5 oz weighed at 10.5 months out. For example: 3 oz meat and a half cup of broccoli weighs about 4 to 4.5 oz. hope that helps!

NYMom222
on 11/24/14 12:12 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Thanks, I am 4 months out and trying still to figure it out. I usually weigh out my meat 3oz, sometimes I fini**** sometimes I don't and then a small amount of veggies.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/24/14 12:15 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Sounds like you are doing everything right!

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 11/23/14 2:33 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Atkins meals are a terrible choice post-op.  You should be developing good habits post op and stay away from processed food.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404