5 months out and alarmed to find myself thinking of food as a reward

life_mirrors_art
on 11/25/14 10:10 am - Canada

After an extremely busy week with lots of snow shovelling and other task-related exercise, I found myself thinking that I 'deserved' a food treat **** cream - lactose free, no sugar added) for all my effort. It was such a surprise to have that thought after training myself to prefer non-food rewards for so many months! I was happy to check in with this forum for positive reinforcement.

My progress so far has been slow but steady - a total loss of 90 lbs counting all weight lost before and after surgery - and at least 50 lbs more to lose. It would be a real shame to let complacency sabotage my efforts to date.

I'm curious how others out there redirect their thoughts away from the 'food as reward' thoughts. Do you distract yourself, find other rewards, or ???  I'd love to hear how the rest of you deal with this issue!

RNY on June 23, 2014  -  HW: 280, SW: 230, CW: 166, GW: 140

Poodlemac
on 11/25/14 10:55 am
RNY on 09/26/14

May sound silly, but I pray for willpower. Worked like a charm today after a week of "holiday treats and cheer" at work. (Most of which I have steered clear of!)  But, It's only the beginning of the season. I'd better get it in check!!

GodsChildII
on 11/25/14 9:05 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I am extremely blessed that I have not had the desire for those "food rewards" YET 

For some reason, I have no desire for sweets at all or soda (those two items were my downfall****ep anticipating the time when the cravings and desire for them will come back, but so far nothing 

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/14 12:08 am - Edmonton, Canada

I think that there is no crime in thinking about it. Random thoughts pass through my mind all the time - LOL, but the difference is what did you actually end up doing? Did you buy the ice cream? Did you eat it?

As far as redirecting your thoughts, I try to do something that requires me to focus on it. I'm not a a good knitter, so I can grab that, or do a puzzle, read. It's a distraction method. I also take a deep breath and start going through all the things I'm grateful for. That helps keep me on track.

HFA70
on 11/27/14 4:20 am

Oh for me it's Malteesers.....it's always been Malteesers.  I love them.  I have found that the longer I go without eating them the less I want them.

For rewards, I try to have a quiet bubble bath, do my nails, clean something and eventually, I'm so involved in what I'm doing, I don't think of the delicious, perfect bites of happiness.

LOL

Good luck

kellybelly333
on 11/27/14 10:45 pm - Toronto, Canada

I do reward myself with chicken wings when I do a race. :-) I figure it's protein, and I deserve is after running 26.2 miles. Other than that, there are no rewards. My health is my biggest reward. 

I found that I was so happy not to want to reward myself with food for so long. It was a great change. Maybe try a manicure or something else if you need to reward yourself?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

life_mirrors_art
on 11/29/14 4:47 am - Canada

All good suggestions - thank you! I did succumb to the extent of buying the ice cream and having a one-cup serving, but then the sugar alcohols or something in the ice cream (Chapmans - no sugar added, lactose-free) made me feel really bad for a few hours, so it was an unpleasant reinforcement of the lesson that food should not be used as a reward. Distraction has worked for me in the past, so that will be the fallback next time the urge to treat with food occurs.

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!

RNY on June 23, 2014  -  HW: 280, SW: 230, CW: 166, GW: 140

MyLady Heidi
on 11/30/14 3:52 am

Sometimes food is the reward, especially on weekends, but I am nearly ten years out and at peace with food.  You have to make your own food rules, mine won't work for you and your won't work for me.  Good luck as you learn.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics