Question, exactly what made you choose the RNY?

thighhighboots
on 11/27/14 1:38 pm - mableton, GA
RNY on 01/28/15

Hello everyone,

I am almost at the end of my requirements to get insurance approval and I have a question, what made you choose the RNY? I ask because I thought I wanted the sleeve but the nurse in my surgeons office told me that she has yet to see a patient in the 10 years that she has worked in his office loose more than 60lbs with the sleeve. I do not want to get my hopes up and then have to end up back in my surgeons office for a revision. To save myself time and heart ache please help by telling me why you chose the RNY or had a revision from a sleeve to a RNY.

Thigh High Boots

Don't give up on you, press on until you reach the finish line!

Lady_bugg
on 11/27/14 1:47 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

I chose RNY because I was/am Type II diabetic and this procedure often puts diabetes in remission. 

Buckets
on 11/27/14 2:54 pm - Southwest, IA
RNY on 04/16/14

It had severe acid reflux and RNY was the best option because of that.

I do not regret having RNY for a minute. :)

VBG in 1987:  HW 267      Recent HW:  242  SW 196 Revision to RNY on April 16, 2014.

bublegirl1
on 11/27/14 3:43 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I revised from sleeve to RNY a because the restriction alone wasnt enough to help me get to goal. I lost 2/3 of what I needed to and gained half that back. But maintained the rest for a couple years. Also I had bad gerd and had to take Prevacid every single day. Even just liquids would give me heartburn. 

When I was here four years ago I met a lot of people who lost a lot with the sleeve. But there is more regain with the sleeve it seems. Either way it's what we do with the tool at the end of the day.  If and when I get to goal this time I'll have to fight like hell to stay there but I'll worry about that when it happens. :)

Good luck!

-Amie

The Salty Hag
on 11/27/14 10:54 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I wanted the sleeve at first, but my surgeon told me with my GERD that RNY would be a better fit for me. I did my own research and saw what he meant. He also thought that malabsorption plus restriction would get a better result for me. I've been very happy with my RNY. That being said, there are many VSGers who have also had really fabulous results. It all depends on how well you use your tool. People who end up not getting to goal or gaining the weight back are usually people who haven't stuck to their plan-whether it is RNY or VSG. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

karenp8
on 11/27/14 11:03 pm - Brighton, IL

I had several reasons for choosing RNY. One was that I had diabetes and was hoping for that to improve. My blood sugars are now normal. Also after a lifetime of dieting and at age 52 my metabolism was shot. After working with a dietitian for 3 months and following her plan 100% of the time and exercising 45 minutes every day I lost 3 pounds. The surgeon and I both felt I needed the malabsorption present right after surgery to get to goal. I am thankful for my surgery every day. I have normal blood sugars,blood pressure,cholesterol and triglycerides. I lost 145 pounds in about 9 months and have maintained that weight for 19 months. I am a normal bmi now for the first time ever and went from a size 26 to an XS shirt and 0 or 1 pants. My rheumatoid arthritis is so much better too. Best of luck with your decision and your surgery!

Eggface
on 11/27/14 11:33 pm, edited 11/27/14 11:36 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

VSG was not as common in 2006 and given recent studies regarding GERD & VSG (I was a severe GERD sufferer) it worked out.

I had 2 family members who had RNY, one had a smooth time, one had some issues but nothing I felt would affect me.

I was not interested in getting fills/unfills etc. Lap band seemed like a PITA to me.

The malabsorptive issue concerned me a bit but I was committed to take my vits all my life  (better than the 8 scripts I used to take) and have... 8 years out all labs are stellar except iron/ferritin dipped low this year... injectafer brought it back up so we'll see. Hemo Dr said its an issue for some regardless of diet/vits. 

Personally... I have seen awesome results with ALL weight loss surgery types.... and I have seen results that were not ideal. I find as I get further out I find it's less about the surgery type and more about the head. 

~Michelle "Shelly" 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MsBatt
on 11/28/14 12:29 am

I hope you'll also post this on the VSG/Sleeve board. There are several posters over there who've lost over 200 pounds with their Sleeve.

I think most people can lose a LOT of weight with any form of WLS. Losing is the easy part. Long-term maintenance of that loss is the hard part for most of us. This is why it's important to research all your options and figure out which one will be easiest for YOU to live happily with.

With that in mind, you should also research a procedure called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass similar to that of the RNY/gastric bypass. The DS has the very best long-term stats for weight loss, and the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

Also, when a Sleeve fails and a revision is desired, the most logical choice is to add the intestinal portion to the existing Sleeve for a full DS. You should check out the Revision board.

knolmom
on 11/28/14 2:37 am

At my initial surgical consult, the Dr felt that the sleeve would be ideal for me, and I agreed. I am older, heavier and have a few cardio pulmonary issues and she felt that the sleeve surgery would be less complicated and the actual time for me to be under anesthesia would be less. 

Unfortunately, when my Endoscopy showed silent GERD, with an ulcer, as well as the very preliminary Ray stage of Barrett's Esophagus, my surgeon refused to do the sleeve. I had the choice between the band and gastric bypass. My surgeon again reviewed all my tests and latest cardio pulmonary reports, and, fortunately she operates at a large teaching hospital in NY City, so with that support we decided to go ahead with gastric bypass. My date is Dec3.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/28/14 6:17 am - OH

I had RNY because VSG wasn't an option 8 years ago. If I were making the decision now, though, I would opt for sleeve (IMO, it just isn't worth a lifetime of lack of vitamin absorption and permanently changing your digestive system in exchange for 18 months or so of temporary caloric malabsorption and increased risks of kidney stones and reactive hypoglycemia.)

Either the nurse in your office has had extraordinary experience that is not reflected in overall statistics, has not been paying attention to which patients had which surgery, or is simply not telling you the truth.  I know a couple of people personally and have had several clients lose MUCH more than 60 pounds with their sleeves!  One person I know personally has already lost 150 pounds and is just now a year out and is still losing.

You can be successful with ANY weight loss surgery (excluding the band) IF you follow the rules and commit to truly changing what you eat.

Every study I have ever seen (I work part time for a bariatric surgery office) shows that the DS has the best rate of loss and best long term results, that RNYers lose slightly faster than VSGers, but that the overall weight loss is very comparable after 2 years or so, and that after 5-10 years (have seen studies done at 5,7, and 10 years out) maintenance of weight loss varies by permanent lifestyle changes but NOT by surgery (RNY vs VSG).  Although some people use them successfully, the statistics on lap band are pretty abysmal overall.

You should definitely do whatever additional research you need to do on both surgeries, but do NOT make your decision based on the nonsense from that nurse!

Lora 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 279 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?