Lactose intolerant (LI)

carimiller9173
on 12/20/14 5:57 am - Wilmington, DE

Good day everyone.  Again, I'd like to say thank you to all of you for your knowledge.

How long after RNY did you find out you were LI?  I have premier protein shakes right now (30g protein for 11 oz); I was going to see about getting Syntrax flavors because they are fruity and I'm scared I'm going to be lactose intolerant.. just wondering how long it took for you to tell and were the symptoms like Dumping syndrome??

Thanks in advance!

Hugs and love,  Carrie

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/20/14 6:23 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I did not become LI and I have never dumped.  Of course, I haven't tried to eat anything that would cause dumping, either.  I am 11.5 months out. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

carimiller9173
on 12/20/14 7:10 am - Wilmington, DE

Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated!!!

M 1-10.5

rocky513
on 12/20/14 8:45 am - WI

I was nauseated and had diarrhea for about two months before I figured out that the protein powder I was using had lactose in it and I had become intolerant.  When I switched to a 99% lactose free powder ( most whey isolates are lactose free) and almond milk the problems stopped.

Dumping is completely different.  You may or may not get those symptoms with dumping.  When I dump it feels like I'm having a heart attack.  My heart races and I feel light headed.  Then I get the stomach cramping.  Dumping is ONLY going to happen when you eat something with too much sugar.  It is NOT dumping if you have not eaten sugary stuff.  You may have gastric distress from eating too fast, not chewing well, or if you have a "picky pouch".  We develop food intolerances but that is not the same as dumping.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poet_kelly
on 12/20/14 8:59 am - OH

Syntrax Nectar is lactose free.  If you mix it with water, there will be no lactose in your shakes.

The symptoms of lactose intolerance are different than those of dumping syndrome.  Lactose intolerance usually causes gas, bloating, and sometimes stomach pain and diarrhea.  Dumping syndrome causes a rapid heartbeat, sweating, fatigue, sometimes dizziness, and often stomach pain and nausea and sometimes diarrhea.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

angel91e
on 12/20/14 9:53 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I became very sensitive to lactous since my surgery. I get very very nauseous and often don't feel better until I throw it up. I don't dump but I am aware that those symptoms include things like stomach cramping sweats and racing heart which I don't get from having milk. Some things bother me a lot more than others. I can't drink milk or have so much as a spoonful of ice cream but can tolerate things like Greek yogurt and cheese just fine. Now here is where it gets tricky... I got sick off of some protien shakes that were vanilla but for some reason I could get by ok with the chocolate ones. Not sure why the chocolate is easier but it seems across the board if I'm not sure if something is going to bother me I'm much better off with the chocolate than the vanilla which was frustrating to since I don't really care for chocolate. I have switched to almond milk because while lactaid pills or the lactaid milk is a lot easier it still bothers me some.

I hope this info helps. Good luck to you.

Angel

carimiller9173
on 12/20/14 9:16 pm - Wilmington, DE

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Makes a lot of sense to me now.  Much appreciated.

Hugs, 

Carrie

M 1-10.5

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?