4 days out...questions

sqlchick19
on 12/18/14 11:14 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

having a bit of a rough time...

1.  Terrible diarrhea.  Literally running to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

2. Terrible Pain in one of the incisions (the one with the drain.

3. Very bloated/full feeling.  I couldn't squeeze more than half the required protein and liquid in yesterday.

does this sound normal?

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

iloveravens
on 12/18/14 11:20 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Yes.  One thing I can say is to check the ingredients of the drinks and/or sugar free pops you are having.  Once I stopped eating/drinking things with Sorbitol as one of the main ingredients, the diarrhea stopped.  I did not have a drain, so I can't comment there.  I don't think I ever hit my protein goals in the first 3-4 weeks.  I tried but I was lucky to make it halfway.  Good luck, it DOES get better day by day.  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Poodlemac
on 12/18/14 11:57 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Absolutely could be the sorbitol. I, too had a weird incision. Doc said it was normal- was the one on my right. Also, doc said not to worry too much about protein so early out. He said he'd be happy if I got half of it in at a week PO.  If the diarrhea continues, I'd call the doc. That can become dangerous if it goes on too long. 

Hang in there!

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/14 2:34 am

Hi! It looks like we had our surgeries on the same day. My diet is water, broth, sugar free jello, and Bariatric Nectar with a protein goal of 60grams. Yesterday, I made it to 46 grams :) Not really feeling bloated.

Everyone seems to heal so differently. I had a few bouts of diarrhea on Wed night after I was discharged, and the drain site hurts the most for me too.

Mybratboys3
on 12/19/14 5:55 am

I'm only 2 days out but haven't had any bowel movements at all, don't have a drain, so can't answer to that, and the only reason I can't get in the protein shakes is because they taste horrible and make me gag. They are too sweet. I hope you feel better soon.

karin602
on 12/19/14 8:53 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Had terrible D after surgery but the cause was the stuff they had me drink for the post options leak test. They said it went through me faster than normal and that's what happens then. Feeling bloated is most likely due to the gas pumped in as well as you are still losing the overall fluids. No drain here thank goodness. Good luck on your recovery.

Karin

igabriel323
on 12/19/14 9:27 am
with

Everyone is different my pain is on the left side. 1 month has passed and I still have some pain on the left side.  Bloating is normal for some time. They fill you with gas.  Use gas x strip that helps alot. 

Yes the incision with the drain is a killer.  As days go by you will feel better. 

Hang in there

poet_kelly
on 12/19/14 11:14 am - OH

Yeah.

If the pain is really really terrible, like you can't sleep because of it, I'd call your doc.

And I'd work really really hard at getting your fluids in, especially with diarrhea.  You will feel a lot worse if you end up dehydrated, like headaches and nausea and dizziness and you don't want to have to deal with that on top of everything else.  I'd worry about fluids and not worry so much about protein for a few days, until you are getting the fluids in and feeling a little better.  And I'd call your doc if the terrible diarrhea lasts more than a couple days.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics