Question re hungry/full

sqlchick19
on 1/26/15 7:49 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Im in week 7...and I never feel hungry but, can tell usually when my body needs nourishment (and usually eat based on the clock).  However,  I never feel full.  I also think I can eat more than others I've seen on this board, and faster.   This scares me.  For instance, I had 3.5 oz soft chicken with 2 broccoli florettes and 3 oz greek yogurt w 2 tbsp applesauce.  I felt satisfied...but not full.  I'm so scared about this down the road...so scared about over eating.

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Pokemom
on 1/26/15 7:51 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Was the Greek yogurt/applesauce in the same meal as the chicken/broccoli?  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/26/15 8:15 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On January 26, 2015 at 3:51 PM Pacific Time, Pokemom wrote:

Was the Greek yogurt/applesauce in the same meal as the chicken/broccoli?  

Excellent question. The yogurt and applesauce are "sliders" -- eating with chicken and broccoli is not only way too much but also akin to adding fluid to solids making it all slide...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

sqlchick19
on 1/26/15 8:17 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Good point!!  That puts things in perspective!  Thanks!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/26/15 7:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Your surgery may still have been recent enough that you still can't feel full.

The bigger question is, you know you aren't supposed to be eating this much, but you still do. Why? Particularly when you say you don't feel hungry to begin with?

Measure out the amount you are supposed to be eating, and put the rest of the food away, out of sight. Then eat only the proper amount.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sqlchick19
on 1/26/15 8:16 am
RNY on 12/15/14

I've been told I can have 4 oz.  I guess I should have stopped aat the chicken and broccoli.  Or had less chicken so I could also have a couple of tablespoons of yogurt.

i miss feeling full.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/26/15 8:32 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Here's the conundrum with WLS.  We often don't feel hungry, but we still want to eat to fullness.  

I try to focus on eating what I need to meet my daily requirements - 80 grams of protein.  I try not to eat until I feel full because it's not really the gauge you need to use to determine whether you've eaten enough.

At seven weeks post surgery, your body may still be in healing mode.  It's very important to measure everything you eat and not rely on your stomach to let you know when you've had enough.

Yogurt and applesauce are slider foods.  They will never make you feel full.  The key is to measure measure measure EVERYTHING as a post WLS n00b.  Your eyes are bigger than your stomach right now.  You're used to larger portions which your body no longer needs.  Down the road it gets easier to eyeball the right quantities, but I remember how surprised I was post surgery when I actually weighed out three ounces.  It seemed so tiny, yet when I ate it, it was more than enough.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Laura in Texas
on 1/26/15 9:07 am

I don't understand why you are pushing the limits so early out.

The mental part is definitely the hardest.  I hope you work on this or you will be researching a third weight loss surgery in the future.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

sqlchick19
on 1/26/15 9:45 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Wow.  Im not sure if you intended to sound snarky....but that's how your comment came across.

I'm not really sure I'd consider myself "pushing limits"....I suppose having the yogurt could be pushing it...so I won't have again.  I'm only having 2 protein shakes a day plus one "meal."  Less than 700 calorie****ting all my protein and water requirements.  I was told a few days ago I should be having 4 oz at my meal ****il then I was having 4 tbsp of yogurt and cottage cheese 6x a day per my nutritionist's direction).  Being new to this eating meat thing...I just realized, that there is no full feeling.  And it scares me.

I always felt "full" (quickly) with the lapband.  I could not tolerate as much...so it's a very weird feeling.  Very much a learning process.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/27/15 1:23 am - OH

Why would your surgeon have you jump from eating only 4 tablespoons at a time to eating 4 ounces at a time?!? That is a huge jump, and most people would have trouble eating 3.5 ounces of dense protein at one sitting at just 7 weeks out.  

Eating yogurt is a great way to get protein in. It should NOT be eaten along with something else, though, because it will help the more solid food slide through your pouch... Which may explain why you are not feeling full!  3.5 ounces of any solid protein (beef, poultry, fish, even a hard cheese) should be plenty to make you feel full at only 7 weeks out.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics