Soup question

brandito
on 1/27/15 11:17 am

I'm wondering if any of you eat soup post op?  I love soup but since we aren't supposed to drink when we eat how do we handle soup since its both?!  There are lots of great soups we can make with proteins and veggies so I hope it's a good option. And no, I'm not referring to high fat, cream based soups. More like broth and vegetable soup. 

RNY 11/18/14 5'4" HW: 255 SW: 236 CW: 190.8 GW: 125...although 140 may be more realistic...can't comprehend what's possible!

Pre-op -11.6 lbs, M1 -13.6 lbs, M2 -10 lbs, M3 -6.8 lbs, M4 -7.6 lbs, M5 -3.8, M6 -3.0, and counting!

Carolynscrave
on 1/27/15 11:27 am

I started eating soup in phase 2. I had RNY May 2015. I started using a blender that has a soup feature. I eat canned soups but try to stay away from high fat soups or soups with foods in them that do not agree with me like pasta. I have a very hard time eating meat since my surgery unless it is in soup. I usually make a big pot of soup once a week.

kokosuggs
on 1/27/15 11:56 am

Im on week 2...     I eat/sip with a spoon the juice of vegetable soup...   good flavor & warm on a cold night :)

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

selhard
on 1/27/15 11:57 am, edited 1/27/15 11:58 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

My post-op instructions capitalized the keyword "DENSE" protein choices thinking that would can soup. (ha)  Does chili sound like a good compromise for you?  One tiny step up from buying canned chili is this recipe:  1# browned ground beef, 1 can Manwich sloppy joe sauce, 1 can drained kidney beans, 1 T. chili powder.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/27/15 8:10 pm

I eat sups. But i make sure they are protein forward...

And most of the time - i eat sups if i know i can afford the calories... I don't eat starches - so no potato, corn, ect.  

A lot of times if my pouch is irritated, soups are my way to get some proteins.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kayleystar
on 1/28/15 12:47 am
RNY on 01/06/15

I'm 3 weeks post op, and am on pureed foods for the first 8 weeks after surgery. I usually have cream based soup for one of my meals every day. Usually a fat free cheddar broccoli. I'm getting the bulk of my protein via protein shakes, so I'm not to worried about eating my protein at this stage of the game. (That will change when I'm allowed solid foods).

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/28/15 12:59 am

I drink the liquid then eat the solids or just pick out the solids and eat those. I eat soup that I make rather than canned soup.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

jenorama
on 1/28/15 2:30 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I do soups and chili.  I don't do soups with pasta in them, so no minestrone, chicken noodle etc.  I will drink as much of the broth as I can get at first and then go after the solids.  I love a good hearty chili too with lots of meat and beans.  I can even vouch for the "Walt's Favorite Chili" at the Carnation Cafe in Disneyland.  :D  I also like a good thick lentil stew.  These are all wonderful when it's cold outside and I've been freezing all day!

Jen

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 64 views