Egg vs Egg Substitute

kayleystar
on 2/1/15 2:14 am
RNY on 01/06/15

So, I'm almost 4 weeks post op (yay!), and I'm on pureed foods for the first 8 weeks. However, along with pureed foods, I'm allowed the glorious Ricotta bake (who knew I'd love Ricotta cheese so much?!), and scrambled eggs. 

At about 1.5 weeks post op, I decided to make myself 2 oz. of scrambled eggs for a meal, using egg substitute. About an hour after eating, I had loose stools the rest of the day. I thought maybe that was just due to being freshly post op. I gave it two days, and tried the egg substitute again, with the same result. 

I'm getting really burned out on eating the same four things, and want to try eggs again. Do you think having real eggs instead of egg beaters may give me a better result? Anyone have issues with eggs this early out? I love eggs!

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/1/15 2:34 am

Try it.  Try with one egg.  At the beginning i could handle 1/2 egg.. 

Make is moist - soft scramble with some butter and cheese.. Yum..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Chilipepper
on 2/1/15 5:31 am

Egg substitute, to say it politely is crap.  Eat the real thing. It's better for you. Yolk and all. Healthy fats and protien. I agree soft scrambled with a little butter or cheese. Enjoy

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/15 8:33 pm

I eat real eggs. I make a casserole with ricotta and eggs and some spices. I never get sick of eggs. I like them. Just don't cook the eggs too long if they are dry some people have a hard time with eggs. 

Refried beans are a good change to. 

Needanewbeginning
on 2/1/15 11:36 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I can't eat egg substitutes, I get the runs and gas...ugh! 

Nothing like the real thing! Eat real eggs and enjoy.

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

aesposito
on 2/2/15 12:26 am

Egg substitute is ****e.  Real eggs with real fat and protein are better for you.  I had to chew like crazy when I started scrambling eggs, but adding some sour cream seemed to help them slide down better.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Cheryl N.
on 2/2/15 4:24 am - Des Moines, WA

Egg substitute is full of chemicals.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Cheryl N.
on 2/2/15 4:26 am - Des Moines, WA

Egg substitute is full of chemicals.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Pokemom
on 2/2/15 5:59 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Hi! I am 5 weeks out, and I was allowed to have eggs early on. So i have an egg about 4 mornings a week. I agree with the advice of others here...the cooking method makes a real difference.  i scramble them, but have to keep them really moist. I cook them on lowish heat, and really stir them constantly in the fry pan. if not moist, then they are harder to eat and digest. i use butter in the pan, and often add a little milk. i also add cheese, cut up small and added to the pan with the raw egg. That way, the cheese fats melt and integrate with the egg to make it softer.

Heads up: I have found that the kind of cheese makes a big difference. Some cheeses melt to a kind of rubbery texture, and some melt smooth. I do not do well with the rubbery ones.  So far, best success with sharp cheddar.  Medium cheddar, feta...too rubbery.

I have also had a boiled egg, smashed with some butter.  That was good!

kayleystar
on 2/2/15 8:16 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Thank you all for the replies! The first time I made it, I put butter in the pan, and topped with cheese. The second time, just butter in the pan, and topped with a little pepper (I'm a pepper addict). 

I do make Ricotta bake with an egg, and it hasn't given me any issues, so perhaps I'll try a real egg with a little bit of milk to scramble (that's how I made them pre op anyhow). :)

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 235 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?